Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 04:26   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Hynautics Steering

I pulled my hydraulic ram steering cylinder out yesterday due to a leaking seal.
It's an "old style" Hynautics K-15.

The best information I've found as been an old Hynautics manual indicating a seal kit number KS-01. I'm debating whether to open up this cylinder myself or send it out for a rebuild.

Has anyone here have some experience or advice?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:14   #2

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Re: Hynautics Steering

I have repaired several ram cylinders...mostly take O-rings or square seals. Some are difficult to get open becaues of corrosion.
Lately, I take them to:
Broward Hydraulic
3907 SW 12th Ct
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
Davie/441
They have many seals in stock, the equipment dismantle and hone cyl. irr req'd. They are very reasonable for cost.
Jim

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17   #3

954-583-2504

Old 01-07-2016, 08:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Thanks Captjcook, Although Lauderdale is my home town I'm up in Jacksonville now. I don't have any corrosion to worry about, but my cylinder is an old brass beauty. I took it to Hydraulics Supply Co. locally and they identified it at first sight when I walked in the door.

All looks good, but my next problem is freeing the fill cap that is under the schrader valve at the top of my reservoir tank. It looks like an aluminum cap on an aluminum plate. I'm trying some PB Blaster and some heat,... we'll see.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:53   #5

Mp...the only additional trick...vibration!
We use a palm size, reversing air rachet, dialed down pressure at the fab shop...good luck. Thanks for all your great posts!
Jim

Old 01-07-2016, 12:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jim, I removed the schrader valve and fitted a 1" socket on the reservoir fill cap. A little whack with a mallet after the PB Blaster did the trick. 'looks like all I'll have left to do is fill and bleed when I get my cylinder back from the shop. Thanks, Hudson
Old 01-07-2016, 13:06   #7

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I deal with my reservoir cap every few months due to a very slow leak. It has an o-ring and I never tighten it much but it is always damn snug when time comes to open it back up.

Btw, I cut the foam mattress into stackable pieces after wrestling with it a few times. It made it a lot easier to check rudder post packing, steering fluid and tweak my homemade rudder feedback unit.
Old 01-07-2016, 13:51   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I deal with my reservoir cap every few months due to a very slow leak. It has an o-ring and I never tighten it much but it is always damn snug when time comes to open it back up.

Btw, I cut the foam mattress into stackable pieces after wrestling with it a few times. It made it a lot easier to check rudder post packing, steering fluid and tweak my homemade rudder feedback unit.
'took me a bit to figure out the foam mattress connection. There are so many different configurations for the Morgan OI aft cabins. My hydraulic reservoir is under my aft cabin sink in the head. My aft cabin berths are port and starboard singles with a work bench at the center. I had changed it from a double berth back in 1985 when I split it into two small private cabins for my son and daughter.
Old 29-08-2016, 13:23   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am still suffering this loss of hydraulic steering. The shop that was to replace my seals damaged my cylinder to the point where it is bent and jammed. So far, Seastar Solutions, that now markets the Hynautics products, has no knowledge of an existence of a K-15 model.

CaptJCook, I tried the Broward Marine source that you suggested, but nothing there either.

I could use another brand single balanced cylinder. I'm looking for a 3/4" shaft with a 10" stroke and a 1 & 1/2" Bore.

Presently, with my emergency tiller attached, the helmsman must stand in the aft cabin below and receive advice from above.

If I can't find something with the proper fit and function to match my present system; then, I'm left with a huge expensive problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 29-08-2016, 14:01   #10

Charley Walker at Southern Charm rebuilt my Hynautic helm pump, great job and reasonable price. Being doing Hynautic boat steering for ages
Service and Repair @ Boating and Fishing Catalog - Your Online Resource for the Gear the Pros Use!
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 12:17   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I found a near perfect match with the HC5369 Seastar Solutions and ordered it today. Gary McMath at Seastar Solutions was very helpful matching the specs for my replacement. It looks like a fairly simple install. I will take the opportunity to replace my hydraulic hose connections. It will be a week or so before I have the part.
Old 31-08-2016, 12:59   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Hudson force, I don't know if you're on facebook, but there is a very active Morgan Out Island group there with lots of helpful people and resources for working on our old boats!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 13:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I found a near perfect match with the HC5369 Seastar Solutions and ordered it today. Gary McMath at Seastar Solutions was very helpful matching the specs for my replacement. It looks like a fairly simple install. I will take the opportunity to replace my hydraulic hose connections. It will be a week or so before I have the part.
Just a heads up, we replaced auto helm and found older hydraulic fittings were different size than new ones.....so had to make some new hoses with new fittings. Not a big deal, but might want to find a hydraulic hose maker, usually big truck repair part company.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 14:20   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Hudson force, I don't know if you're on facebook, but there is a very active Morgan Out Island group there with lots of helpful people and resources for working on our old boats!
Thanks pccm, I am a member of that group, but not very active.

bvander, thanks for the concern. I was already determined to change out the old hoses for new as long as I was in the system. I'll get the proper fittings to match my new hydraulic cylinder when it arrives.
Old 31-08-2016, 19:46   #15

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

I would like to convert to a balanced cylinder but found no info on the HC5369. Do you have the manufacturers docs on the cylinder?

Tags
steering