Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2024, 16:36   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Hull Paint Costs

In Australia you wouldn't be allowed to spray a boat in the open (there are VERY strict rules)
Most professional would use roll and tip these days.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 16:47   #17

Same here in WA (Washington State, not Western Australia).
Foswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:03   #18

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Get estimates from several individuals in Port Townsend before you choose one. There are independent workers there with low overhead and good tools and skills.

That's an excuse to spend a few days in Port Townsend ahead of bringing the boat there. Wander the yards at the big Port of Port Townsend facility. Talk to the workers and owners. There are workers who just get work by word of mouth, and are always busy because of good work and reasonable prices.
It's a lovely drive from Anacortes, down Whidbey Island, and ferry across to Port Townsend.
(I lived aboard there for almost 30 years)
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:37   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The greatest decision to make in relation to the size and age of your boat vs cost is the net difference between a professional job and one you do yourself. Of course, even if you're not a skilled person, you might be surprised how well it could look after paint. There was an old working 32 ft crab boat in bad cosmetic shape in the yard a few months ago. The owners son, an amateur at best, sanded and faired obvious voids/dings in the hull and painted it with 2 coats of Rustoleum Marine Paint . It's not Awlgrip but it looked very good and with materials and paint cost him less than $500. So, perhaps you're not willing to do the prep. In that case, get a price from the boatyard for sanding/prep only. You're way ahead of the game on an older boat unless you have a place for it in a local Art museum. At a certain point in a boat's life, one should accept it's age in relationship to cosmetic repairs/challenges. Good luck!
Rognvald
Old 06-05-2024, 09:58   #20

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Own a 52' Kanter.
Painted in Florida in 2016 for 24K.
Just painted in Guaymas MX for 6K.
Did a beautiful job, and alot of prep for an aluminum boat. FLAG blue.
Highly recommend Mexico if you can get her there.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 11:02   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
I'm making an offer on a Fuji 32. She's going to need a hull repaint (topside and bottom paint). I'm trying to get a sense of how much this is going to cost to have this done. Estimates I'm seeing online go pretty wide from $1000 - $6000 and even up to $10k - $12k.

I know that it isn't really so much about the paint as the prep, and that can vary with the condition of the hull. I'm just trying to figure out what I should ballpark budget, give or take a thousand dollars or so.

Any recent experience with this?
Crazy affordable in Trinidad at Powerboats. $5000 US for our 58 foot ketch.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 12:28   #22
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
I'm making an offer on a Fuji 32. She's going to need a hull repaint (topside and bottom paint). I'm trying to get a sense of how much this is going to cost to have this done. Estimates I'm seeing online go pretty wide from $1000 - $6000 and even up to $10k - $12k.

I know that it isn't really so much about the paint as the prep, and that can vary with the condition of the hull. I'm just trying to figure out what I should ballpark budget, give or take a thousand dollars or so.

Any recent experience with this?
I'll be taking my boat to Port Townsend this summer for the same thing. Please let us know on who you settle on to do the job and his price. I'll do the bottom myself.
Old 06-05-2024, 18:44   #23

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Pacific Northwest, US.

I (very briefly) considered doing it myself. We have historically done bottom paint ourselves. But, I am looking for a flawless finish and frankly, I suck at such things. I could do an "OK" job, but I would always be looking at all my flaws.

We'll repaint the deck at some point, and I'll do that myself.
Topside needs about 3 days for 2 workers to prepare.. Sand fill high build.. Sand again.. Masking up
Spray paint topside about 2 hrs..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, hull paint, paint