Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 07:41   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
How to test for proper grounding?

I've heard repeated warnings about swimming in marinas where some boats are connected to shore power, because of the dangers of stray voltage from poorly grounded boats.

So that raises the question, are there tools or tests you can perform to ensure that your boat is properly grounded?

There are simple test kits I've used to check, for example, that a newly-installed wall outlet in my home is correctly grounded, etc. But I've not seen discussion of what tests or test equipment is appropriate for a boat.

If I'm going to be doing any sort of wiring on a boat, or even if just checking the wiring on a boat I just bought, I'll want to know how to do this.

Ideas?

Pointers?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 07:48   #2

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30
Re: How to test for proper grounding?

Will this help?

https://www.boatingmag.com/simple-ground-system-test/
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:00   #3

Boat: Baba 35

Test your ground with a meter. It aint hard.

Put the red on the ground and the black on a piece of neutral metal. Test for current.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:04   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I've heard repeated warnings about swimming in marinas where some boats are connected to shore power, because of the dangers of stray voltage from poorly grounded boats.

So that raises the question, are there tools or tests you can perform to ensure that your boat is properly grounded?

There are simple test kits I've used to check, for example, that a newly-installed wall outlet in my home is correctly grounded, etc. But I've not seen discussion of what tests or test equipment is appropriate for a boat.

If I'm going to be doing any sort of wiring on a boat, or even if just checking the wiring on a boat I just bought, I'll want to know how to do this.

Ideas?

Pointers?
You don't have to worry about going swimming, (see all those divers doing bottom cleaning) but you may have to worry about your bonded seacocks failing early
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:16   #5

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
Yes, thanks.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:07   #6

Boat: Taswell 43

following.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:16   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You don't have to worry about going swimming, (see all those divers doing bottom cleaning) but you may have to worry about your bonded seacocks failing early
Electrocution hazard is greatest in fresh water, less in salt.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 12:40   #8

Boat: Beneteau 343

Following
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 13:53   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

With an A/C clamp meter you can go down the dock and test everyone's shore power cord connection. Clamp the jaws around the entire power cord. You should get a reading of zero amps. If you get any other reading than zero amps then that boat is leaking however much it reads into the water. The electrical grounding of boats is a complicated subject. The best assurance is to make sure that you have some kind of gfci or rcd device. This could be the main circuit breaker in the boat, part of the shore power cord, part of the marina power pedestal, or in the marina's circuit panel. Those plug in outlet testers are good to use every time you hook up to a new source to check for reverse polarity. Many marinas and boats have faulty wiring. It is true that electric shock drowning is much more of a danger in freshwater. You can buy devices such as these to see if the water is safe to swim: https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Alert-4...84883777&psc=1
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope