Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 18:37   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Creala 40
How to fix these buried chainplates?

Hey folks,

I just bought a Crealock 40 that needs some chainplate work. I did get a $5k discount for that so hopefully it's win.

3 are leaking which has caused mold where it's dripped down.

How do I go about cutting them out, inspecting, repairing? Also holding mast up if removed?

WaldPinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 01:48   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: How to fix these buried chainplates?

Why do you say they need work? What is wrong with them?

I definitely would stop water getting past the bolts but has that caused any problems?

Are the chain-plates stainless steel? If so I'd drill through the fiberglass with (say) a 10mm drill in a couple of different locations to inspect the state of the metal. If the metal looks OK maybe I'd pump some polyester (or epoxy) to fill any voids around the tangs.

If they were mild steel and rusted you'd have to cut them out and re-fiberglass in a new set.

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 02:46   #3

I must admit, I'm new to that part coming from a trailer sailer.

I assumed I'd need to inspect them especially with the amount a leakage that was coming through.
Old 20-02-2021, 02:53   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Waldpinkler I wouldn't muck around trying to keep the mast on the boat. Crane it off, then get a grinder with a diamond Blade and cut the fibreglass around those chain plates. Make sure you seal the whole interior of the boat with plastic drop sheets taped everywhere. You do not want fibreglass dust anywhere except for where you are working. Same with yourself, suit up and mask up.
You could muck around and keep the mast up and do one side at a time. But for me the quicker the itchy work is done the better.
I wonder what the bulkhead is like if moisture has got trapped and is causing the bolts to weep? What's the deck core like in that area?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 02:59   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

The 10mm drill bit inspection idea is never going to work. You need to physically see the whole chainplate not the Swiss cheese version. While the mast is of you may as well inspect the forestays and backstays. The previous owner didn't give you a 5g discount because this is an easy repair.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 03:07   #6

I most certainly wouldn't be grinding out the chain-plates unless I had to. (That would be a very big job)

I've looked at the photo and I'm having trouble working out how the chain-plates are anchored. Are they attached to the bulkheads at all?

When I have done some research to find out how the chain-plates are attached I keep coming up with details of the Pacific Seacraft 40 (designed by Crealock) Are they the same yacht?
Old 20-02-2021, 03:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
The 10mm drill bit inspection idea is never going to work. You need to physically see the whole chainplate not the Swiss cheese version. While the mast is of you may as well inspect the forestays and backstays. The previous owner didn't give you a 5g discount because this is an easy repair.
Cheers
I'd like to know what the chain-plates are made of. I made sure mine were 316 Stainless and I'm quite certain they won't rust as they will never get wet.
Old 20-02-2021, 03:19   #8

If the Crealock 37 is the same as a Crealock 40 then they have external chain-plates anchored to a metal frame embedded in the f/g hull.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cr...cific-seacraft

Here is another thread on the same subject.

Chainplates
Just acquired a 1978 Crealock 37. C...........

https://www.sailnet.com/threads/chainplates.279217/
Old 20-02-2021, 03:48   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Test the bolts, and the plates, as best you can to see if they're stainless, with a relatively strong magnet. If it sticks, they're probably not.

Clean the paint off the best and worst looking bolts of the lot and remove the nuts. If you don't remove the paint you run the risk of siezing the nut, especially if it's stainless, and having to cut it off. When you get the threads clean use some kind of lubricant before you remove it as well.

See what you have after removing the nut. If it's rust bucket, you may be able to cut a small 'window' over the plate where the bolt's been removed with a sharp wood chisel and remove a bit of glass to see the condition of the plate and, perhaps more importantly, the condition of the weld conecting the cross piece to it (welds are a common place for corrosion to start on stainless).

If, as the picture suggests, you have to replace the plates, they could probably be done with the mast in situ; you'd have to loosen all the shrouds and remove and replace each individually; a PITA, but doable.

To save on grinding (though some will be necessary for reinstallation), you may be able to cut the fiberglass around the perimeter of the chainplate with the same (repeatedly) sharpened wood chisel.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 04:01   #10

Wald,

The both of them are probably too modest to admit it, but in case you didn't know it, Fore and Aft is an extremely experienced and knowledgeable marine surveyor and JimBunyard an extremely experienced and knowledgeable boatbuilder.

So their advice is worth more than you may've realised...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 04:04   #11

If these two following references are any guide the chain-plates are all stainless steel so you shouldn't have any problems.

Pacific Seacraft 34 and 37
The chainplates are mounted outside the hull for easy inspection. The exterior plates are made of 1/4″ x 2″ type 304 stainless steel fastened with carriage bolts to 1/8″ thick stainless steel plates bedded on the hull interior.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...raft-34-and-37

Crealock 37
Chainplates are stainless steel straps bolted through the topsides. This is a simple, strong, leak-proof installation. But aesthetically, it breaks up the clean flow of the sheerline, and we have seen chainplates like this bleed brown oxidation down the topsides after lengthy ocean passages.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...ws/crealock-37
Old 20-02-2021, 04:10   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Whatever grade of stainless they are, with that much surface rust bleeding down, there's a real possibility of crevice corrosion. You have to remove those entirely and inspect the entire length. And when you replace them, don't encapsulate them in glass like those are, so that you can see 'em.
Old 20-02-2021, 04:10   #13

I'm trying to find out if the pacific seacraft is the same as the crealock. I mean from the outside it looks just the same.

Unfortunately I can't look at it right now. I went through with a surveyor who said they need to be inspected. I need to find a dinghy first so I can get out to the mooring.
Old 20-02-2021, 04:17   #14

No external plates on the boat.

Looks like I'll be doing some cutting. I like the idea of them not being sealed in fibreglass.
Old 20-02-2021, 04:27   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

From memory, Crealock was the designer or the original builder, who offered plans and some boats at varying stages of completion.

I think Pacific Seacraft was the builder who took over construction or bought the rights or made some such business deal subsequently.

Damn nice looking boats whatever their pedigree.

Never really a good idea to encapsulate stainless when there's a risk of water entrapment. Though it's common enough...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote