Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 19:30   #136

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Creala 40
Re: How to fix these buried chainplates?

I will replace them. The fabricator said it would take a month for him because of so much work and he'd have to buy 6 meters of bar to match.

I could get the pitting ground out and polished to see if it goes deeper.

My main problem is I need to get back up north asap. I'd be happy to temporarily bed them back in.
WaldPinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 20:28   #137

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Do not re fit old chain plates ,the insurance company will not except excuses if you knowingly re fit possibly suspect material ,and I will bet your experts will not cover there expert opinions with there insurance ,there will be other ss workers ,just ask around ,it’s not too hard . Ps do it once do it right. ⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 21:10   #138

Grabbed a file and 10 sec I was at the bottom of the side pitting. Not deep at all. I'm going to pull another plate and inspect.
Old 04-03-2021, 00:41   #139

I pulled another plate on the other side of the boat this afternoon. The useless welds were a bit rusty but the rest of the plate looks fine. I'm going to rebed these 3 then sail it up north where I have time to get new ones made and replaced. I'm thinking it unlikely the rest are all bad. I have 4 plates each side. The rear is good and there's 2 furlers on the front.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:03   #140

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

where the anchoring cross pieces were welded to the chain plate was where my worst pitting and issues were. the heat from welding makes the weld area susceptible I think.

i re-bedded my old plates temporarily. i didn't have bolt holes like you do so that pattern had to be figured out. the yard was raking me across the coals and their metal fabrication prices was out of step with the area. the fabricator shops i trust were busy. reused old plates with the intention of later reusing them as patterns.

i only had the stick back up approx. 6 months. i did have to transit the coast from Mission bay to san diego bay but it was a nice day and the weather worked in my favor. i did not like/want to do this but it is what it is unfortunately, didn't have many options at that point, and i had to accept the risk. I didn't take the boat out after i got back to my dock. there was 2 storms with 20-30kn winds at my dock where i was clenched and worried, before pulling the stick again when i trucked the boat for the east coast. the plates weren't bad, or didn't appear to be bad. I tapped them and did what tests i could before re-bedding. again not a lot of options and just had to accept the risk at the time.

now I'm on the east coast. boat should get put in the water soon. leaving the mast so i can paint it, and finish some other upgrades as i half refit it in San Diego. will replace the plates before it goes up. the old ones will be patterns so it will be easier. in my case luck was in my favor and everything worked out.

Each boat is different and you will have to make that decision yourself, mast coming down would be horrible and devastating. Do what you have to do, but realize you have to accept the risk and consequences, make sure that doesn't impact anyone else. I feel for you, I have been there. not a fun choice.

I can tell you that regardless of whether the plates are good or not, every off wind or wave, noise or weird motion of your boat will make your A pucker up and your stomach sink for several minutes. I checked the mast several hundred times the first couple weeks after i was back at the dock.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:10   #141

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

If you choose to take it north. You can strengthen things up a little just in case.

use spare halyards as extra stays/shrouds.

better yet run up the mast and attach some Dyneema line at the top and tension it at the bottom using a strong deck attachment like a cleat. if your really worried also attach at the middle/spreader and do the same. you can use shackles to tension some lashing between. Amsteel isn't too expensive and pretty common. 1/4", 3/8" maybe depending on the size of your boat.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:58   #142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Strongly recommend the OP take another look at the photos in Post # 18.
My last word on this one.
Old 04-03-2021, 13:13   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Strongly recommend the OP take another look at the photos in Post # 18.
I agree with you. I don't want to take stupid risks but I filed out the pitting and it went no where. It was easy to follow it. I'll get the middle pitting ground out and polished today to check. The other plates I looked at were fine.

The boat was sailed down the coast a week ago also.
Old 04-03-2021, 13:21   #144

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Wald, I'm sure you'll be fine, but don't force the rig on your trip north (reef early!). I still think fixing external chain plates is the way I would go, using the existing chain plates as backing plates. It's a simple procedure in your case. FYI, my boat was retrofitted with external chain plates.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 00:50   #145

Took 3 plates down to the metal shop today and the guy grinded the pitting out on one and the old welds off. Rigger next door said the plates look great and he wouldn't have them replaced. Got a third opinion at another boat yard who said they are very beefy and would just replace the bolts.

I'm feeling good about them. I'll dig the sealant out around the rest of the plates and check where they pass through the deck.
Old 14-03-2021, 03:38   #146

Just a follow up. I took 3 plates out. Had the old welds grinded off and cleaned up. No pitting on the others.

There was pitting on half of the washers, a little on the nuts. Bolts all good.

I tried to replace the bolts but couldn't but imperial stuff here. Have new nuts and thicker washers. I'm happy.

Got flattened sideways with 35 knots on my first day out sailing on the ocean this new boat. Mast still standing. I'm hiding under the blanket now safely in a river
Old 14-03-2021, 13:44   #147

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

You can be lucky sometimes ,but not all the time when you get settled re new the lot ,no guessing then.⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote