Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2019, 11:31   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Help please! Alternator Bracket Slipping!

A poor design, pivot point and support bracket are positioned to close together to have and real strength. You will never be able to tighten the bolts enough to have any real strength. You need to get some Distance somehow between those two points.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 12:02   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

I custom built a bracket similar to this. Not at the boat now and I don't have a photo, but I'll try to describe it. Instead of the
curved arm coming off the pivot, I put an arm about 2" wide going straight down ending about level with the bottom of the alternator. The curved arm goes from there to the bottom bolt on the alternator. That holds the tension just fine and the belt does not slip. I first made it just like the Universal bracket but as the OP says it wouldn't hold tension. The rest of the bracket is just like the one shown here. I couldn't use the Universal bracket because my manifold is a different style and the dimensions are not the same. You should be able to modify the Universal bracket like this.
As Roland mentioned above I ended up using a turnbuckle instead of the arm. Holds tension better, doesn't require you to overtighten the bolts and is real quick to adjust. Didn't use a marine turnbuckle, just an aluminum and stainless one from Lowe's. Cost about $4.00
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 12:19   #18

Boat: Catalina 36

I just completed mine also. You need to read this article which highlights the issues with the supplied bolts https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6iofO9-p5MrJqA
Go to any auto supply store like Napa, Autozone, or CAP and get the proper, longer, grade 8 , 5/16" cap screws. I have had no issuers
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 13:30   #19

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Ditch the flat washer and the split lock washer. The flat washer you are using will slip on the bracket surface. Using the split lock washer alone will not do the trick. Purchase a serrated lock washer and install, torque per spec.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 08:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I know the following will be looked upon as a kludgy solution, but it worked for me on a Yanmar/Hitachi installation.

I bought a second bolt, washer, and lock nut and placed them immediately adjacent to the adjustment bolt so they provided a sort of "stop" on the bracket. I could remove the adjustment bolt on the alternator and it would not move. This just added more friction (and more complexity) but the solution cost about $1.20 for the parts. You could, presumably, use any grade of bolt and any pitch of thread since it just screws into the nut on the other side.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 15:59   #21

Boat: Catalina 36

Get a 1/2”-3/4” longer bolt, after tightening it all up, put a nut on the back side. After initial belt stretch mine has been rock steady.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 16:47   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This type washer might do the trick. Try to get the Nord-Lock brand.
https://www.fastenal.ca/counterBook/...2&catId=600101
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, lease