Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2024, 09:31   #1

Boat: 06 Leopard 43
hatch glass CAD files

Looking around there are a few threads referencing CAD files for glass on Lewmar hatches, but no actual link.

It's easy enough to remove the glass, go home, template and then come back but my boat isn't nearby, and I'd rather not remove one of each hatch type and leave it only sealed with plastic.

There is a local plexi-acrylic fabricator that will copy whatever I have, but that doesn't save time compared to just templating with a router in my garage.

Hoping to get them made without removing the glass. I mean, a Lewmar 60 can't vary that much so assuming someone out there has files..?

Or is everyone just using a bearing bit on their router at home?
doradodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 09:58   #2

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: hatch glass CAD files

Quote:
Originally Posted by doradodiver View Post
Looking around there are a few threads referencing CAD files for glass on Lewmar hatches, but no actual link.

It's easy enough to remove the glass, go home, template and then come back but my boat isn't nearby, and I'd rather not remove one of each hatch type and leave it only sealed with plastic.

There is a local plexi-acrylic fabricator that will copy whatever I have, but that doesn't save time compared to just templating with a router in my garage.

Hoping to get them made without removing the glass. I mean, a Lewmar 60 can't vary that much so assuming someone out there has files..?

Or is everyone just using a bearing bit on their router at home?
My two cents. If you get a CAD file and the radius is off because of a design change or whatever, it would cost you more than taking a trip to your boat, spending a nice weekend enjoying the boat, and making templates for your fabricator to do it right once.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 10:24   #3

Boat: Moody 376

https://www.lewmar.com/support-download-files
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 10:30   #4

Boat: 06 Leopard 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
My two cents. If you get a CAD file and the radius is off because of a design change or whatever, it would cost you more than taking a trip to your boat, spending a nice weekend enjoying the boat, and making templates for your fabricator to do it right once.
Fair point.
doradodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 10:52   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

I don't know your motivation for trying to make your own, but they are available with new handles etc. for a price less than you will spend probably. Taking a frame apart when it is decades old is not as easy as a new one like in the you tube videos.
https://defender.com/en_us/lewmar-me...ndles-and-seal
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 10:23   #6

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

If you can get an accurate CAD file and if you have a fabricator who'll use CNC equipment, then a CAD file would be the way to go. But getting a CAD file you're confident in seems like it'll be a challenge. I looked at the Lewmar web site and they don't seem to have anything suitable, unless I missed it.

I suspect you'll find making your own pattern or routing off the old glass will be the way to go. I wouldn't trust the fabricator to work from a drawing unless they're a machine shop. I've been burned by that before, not with hatches, specifically, but with other components made from glass or acrylic.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch