Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14   #16

Re: Gelcoat Repair & Gouges

If the weather holds, I will try making a repair with the preval sprayer the first of Oct. If you go that route would like your feedback on using that little sprayer. I'm getting my gel from jamestown and the color match is good with their pre mixed colors. Those pre mixed colors are only in air dry solutions so I have some concern about getting close to 20 mil thickness without sanding between coats. Good Luck.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:42   #17

Boat: PT-11
What if the repair is wider than the tape?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:05   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

My Gelcoat repair method is for small chips and holes.
1" wide is probable the largest repair you can do using 1-1/2" wide tape.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1330306
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:38   #19

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc
Hi All,

Bought my 95 Sunbeam last year and am slowly redoing all of her systems. On haul out, we took rubbing compound to the hull and waxed. The results were good. The gelcoat on the topsides is very dull and has hairline glazed cracks all over. How best to restore the topsides? Can I rub it out or am I looking at new paint or gelcoat?
Not sure how to proceed..
Quirocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:46   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Yes, I've read as much as the search pulls up, but I did not see Cotemar's technique.
My big concern is to not make things worse. Say my repair looks ok, but in 5 years we want the pros to take a crack at it. Sometimes, owner repairs makes life hard for the pro.

I feel very comfortable fairing with rage, great stuff, I think I can make it look better the old fashion way, but, I cannot resist trying Cotemar's simple solution. Cotemar's technique reminds me of void repair once you pop a boat out of a mold.

I really appreciate the input!
Thank you

How did it go? Pics?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 10:25   #21

Boat: PETERSON 44
Oops.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 10:27   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Sorry minaret, last weekend was to be the start of this project, but I was in the hospital:-( nothing bad just a hiccup in my recovery. I hope to be up and running in a week or two.

I plan to post a play by play of the gel coat repair, with glitches and gaffs and hopefully triumphs. I'd like to employ both techniques. The corner damage with the filler then gel coat, because I just can't figure how to contour the corner properly. The shallow flat surface stuff with the scotch tape technique :-). I loved doing this kinda thing when I had my yacht service. I have a long list of projects I am ready to do, plan in place, materials organized and waiting. Sucks a big fat lemon when your body keeps you from doing something you love, messing around on boats. But I'm alive and have a full recovery prognosis . I really appreciate the input from everyone. I cannot express how valuable it is when you all take time to help me plot this stuff out, it helps me be more efficient with my time as I can tire easily.
Cheers
Old 28-09-2013, 11:22   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Sorry minaret, last weekend was to be the start of this project, but I was in the hospital:-( nothing bad just a hiccup in my recovery. I hope to be up and running in a week or two.

I plan to post a play by play of the gel coat repair, with glitches and gaffs and hopefully triumphs. I'd like to employ both techniques. The corner damage with the filler then gel coat, because I just can't figure how to contour the corner properly. The shallow flat surface stuff with the scotch tape technique :-). I loved doing this kinda thing when I had my yacht service. I have a long list of projects I am ready to do, plan in place, materials organized and waiting. Sucks a big fat lemon when your body keeps you from doing something you love, messing around on boats. But I'm alive and have a full recovery prognosis . I really appreciate the input from everyone. I cannot express how valuable it is when you all take time to help me plot this stuff out, it helps me be more efficient with my time as I can tire easily.
Cheers

Condolences, hope you are fully recovered soon. Good luck!

Old 28-09-2013, 11:26   #24

FWIW, I tried a modified Minaret method. I used the tape for a long scratch about half a mil deep. But when it was set, I sanded with 800 then 2000 and then buffed. The tape seemed to keep it pretty smooth and cut down on sanding. Apart from the color being a bit different, it is perfect. I was scared to do this at first but it was easy.
Old 28-09-2013, 11:28   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
FWIW, I tried a modified Minaret method. I used the tape for a long scratch about half a mil deep. But when it was set, I sanded with 800 then 2000 and then buffed. The tape seemed to keep it pretty smooth and cut down on sanding. Apart from the color being a bit different, it is perfect. I was scared to do this at first but it was easy.

That would be a Cotemar method.

Old 28-09-2013, 15:53   #26

you're right, sorry.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:00   #27

Boat: J/40

I have a few chips to repair and want to give the cotemar/scotch tape method a try. My only concern is that the method calls for unwaxed gel coat, but all I have on board is the waxed stuff. Will it still work? I don't imagine it actually requires air to cure?

Thanks.
infinitysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 17:24   #28

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysail View Post
I have a few chips to repair and want to give the cotemar/scotch tape method a try. My only concern is that the method calls for unwaxed gel coat, but all I have on board is the waxed stuff. Will it still work? I don't imagine it actually requires air to cure?

Thanks.
Just try a small dab on a block of wood to make sure it will harden up with the scotch tape on it
Old 10-04-2014, 17:27   #29

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
That would be a Cotemar method.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1330306
Old 25-04-2014, 07:39   #30

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Coteman,
Does the procedure that you have listed work for fixing stress cracks that are 4 to 5 inches long?
I have stress cracks in the gel coat around my stanchions, nothing deeper. I have also had a plate put on the deck and have tied that to another plate under the deck to spread the stress over a larger area.
I intend to open up the cracks with a dremel tool and then follow your instructions.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat, paracelle