Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2020, 12:50   #1

Gel, colour matching and alternatives?

I have some damage on the hull where a fender came adrift and the pontoon has rubbed through the gel coat.

I could apply some gel and either get a custom match or the best match possible.

I was wondering about an alternative. Repair by rebuilding the area with epoxy (there are a few light scratches and the gel removed down to the fibreglass) and when made good apply several coats of 2K matched spray paint. It seems to me the colour might blend better and the repair could be easier. It is more straight forwad as well to get a can of colour match 2K than a small batch of matched gel coat, and of course quit set epoxy with some filler with set up hard very quickly.

The area is about 6 inches square.

Thoughts please?
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 18:42   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Gel, colour matching and alternatives?

Check out Tap Plastics. They have a nice two-part video on how to repair gel coat. I haven't applied the lesson to my deck yet, but it looks so easy peasy even though I know everyone's mileage skills vary widely.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote