Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2023, 06:21   #16

Boat: TP52
Re: Fixing an unregistered out-of-state boat? Beware "use tax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
So you live in, say, Mass. and you bought a boat from out-of-state less than 6 mos before you brought it to your place in Mass, hoping to fix 'er up and then retire on her out of state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 1, Title IX, Chapter 64I, Section 1: Definitions
The terms ''store'' and ''storage'', and ''use'' shall not include the keeping, retaining, or exercising of any right or power over tangible personal property for the purpose of subsequently transporting it outside of the commonwealth for use thereafter solely outside of the commonwealth, or for the purpose of being processed, fabricated or manufactured into other tangible personal property to be transported outside of the commonwealth and thereafter used solely outside of the commonwealth.
If your plan is to take it back out of state after fixing it up then use tax doesn't apply
RocketScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 22:11   #17

I am also a Montana resident. I just saw huge property tax increases. The new appraisal on my tiny island lot is insane.

I am getting agricultural status next year after my next grape harvest. The low lake level will make me move my ripe grapes back to Finley Point by kayak! My little Cape Dory Typhoon can’t be launched and sits in my shop. I saw three wildfires start up yesterday and this is just the start of fire season. First world problems.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullislandken View Post
I am also a Montana resident. I just saw huge property tax increases. The new appraisal on my tiny island lot is insane.

I am getting agricultural status next year after my next grape harvest. The low lake level will make me move my ripe grapes back to Finley Point by kayak! My little Cape Dory Typhoon can’t be launched and sits in my shop. I saw three wildfires start up yesterday and this is just the start of fire season. First world problems.
Hi Ken:

It is amazing how last year the lake flooded and submerged the docks and this year its level is far below the docks. Many marinas are not readily accessible.
Finley State Park is likely very shallow.

I will be launching my Hobie Tandem Island Adventure Sailyak as it only needs a couple of feet for its rudder and the penguin feet pedal drive.

I like to anchor in the south side of Bull Island and at Bear Belly.

No joy with the smoke as the view of the mountains is occluded.

All the best,

Dan
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:57   #19

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

I found all the rain, it's in Ketchikan, have been having to bail my dinghy daily to keep it from playing submarine!

Tags
boat