Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 12:54   #1

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
Engine refit

A friend of mine is planning to replace his Perkins 4.236 with a Perkins Range 4 135 because he believes that being a Perkins it will fit into place with the old mounts. I know the Range 4 135 replaced the 6.345 and is a 6 cylinder diesel so I highly doubt he is right. Not being engine savvy I was wondering if anyone knows if he is right in his assumption.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 13:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Engine refit

I don't know if it would fit but the actual mounts are different for every engine even some that are the same size but different revision take different mounts. You then need to deal will all the accessories like transmission and anything attached to the block to make sure it will fit. In any case never recycle mounts. Put new ones on as they should be replaced far more frequently than most everybody commonly thinks. Mounts don't last all that long.

You might try calling Trans Atlantic Diesel in White Marsh, VA about what fits with what. They specialize in such things. I believe they used to sell a Cummins package that was block compatible and had a trade in deal too and I know someone that was exceptionally please with the replacement.

Just buying a block is nothing compared to what everything else might cost.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, refit