Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 13:03   #16

Re: Effective use of chandleries and alternatives to them

I've been boating since I was a kid in the 1950s, bought our first boat in SF in 1983, so was around for the "Great Days of WM" before the decline.

Somewhere in the mid-1980s, my motto became:

MY FAVORITE MARINE STORE IS ACE Hardware
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 15:05   #17

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

The Ace stores in Tahiti are good and one can even cut unique keys that nobody has blanks for. People amaze me there with how they can help.
In the SF bay area Svendsen's Marine is good.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 15:08   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

^ funny.

Here in Antigua we went to 4 hardware stores to get a rather common key cut. arbus. No luck.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 19:00   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It's laborious, but you can do your own, if you have or can have blanks sent to you. It is tedious, don't cut too deep. Clamp together with existing one, to copy it. Use a small 3 cornered file. fine flat file to take off any burrs.

Ann
Old 02-05-2023, 19:05   #20

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
They do have their place and I do use them occasionally.

I no longer trust the provenance or safety of their items or their speed of shipping. I've received counterfeit goods from them and while they're quick to refund the order it's frustrating and leads to delays. Just yesterday we received a package from them that was due last Friday, some methyl methacrylate adhesive, and so we had to find a local source so we could proceed with a repair.
Tough luck I guess, I have never had a problem with their products or shipping.

My main go to places are a local chandlery (20 min drive), ACE, Amazon, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Garhauer, eBay, Hodges marine, and McMaster Carr.

Defender used to be one of them but not anymore.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 06:42   #21

There are several very good chandleries that have both new and used parts and gear.

Southern Cross in Pensacola, FL https://www.southerncrossmarineservices.com/
Don's marine in Clearwater, FL https://donsmarinesalvageyard.com/
Boaters Resale Shop of Texas, Kemah, TX (Houston) https://www.boatersresaleshopoftexas.com/
And several others... Minnies in LA area, snoop around the hurricane areas.too
DiverSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:10   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to rupertfb Send a message via Skype™ to rupertfb

I enjoyed reading this thread - some solid info:

West Marine has turned into the ‘Bed Bath & Beyond’ of boating

Watch out ordering stuff at Walmart - if they are bringing items in from a 3rd party (which they will be for rare boat stuff) they wont take it back, and you will have to pay to ship it to the 3rd party company.
rupertfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:57   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I go to a West Marine store only as the very last resort. Mostly only newbies to the boating world go there these days. I'm surprised they are still in business. Their prices are outrageous.

I like to use the Defender catalog from time to time as they generally have better prices than the West Marine stores.

As for the rest, I like to go the Marine Salvage stores from time to time, to see what they have.
In my neck of the woods, we have stores that cater to the ship industry. You can buy chain there.. most any kind....at a 1/3 of the price West does, plus a variety of other marine equipment, bottom paint, etc.
We have specialty stores that sell any type of s/s hardware you can think of. Numerous diesel repair shops, sail lofts, etc and so.
Even an old time marine and hardware store where you can still buy a single bolt...
Then there is ACE hardware, Home Depot and Lowe's, even Walmart, etc...

I've gotten countless stuff thru' Amazon, never had any issues with product.

But West Marine stores...thanks, I'll pass..
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:16   #24

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

West Marine prices are criminal. I have access to a commercial account, that brings them down to just outrageous. In Annapolis, 200 yd from the mega store West Marine is a small private outfit called Fawcetts. Day in and day out, their products are 30% less than West Marine, on almost everything. And they are knowledgeable and friendly. They also do mail order, check them out.

When I shop for lowest price, I sometimes notice the highest price. Usually West is the highest available price for a particular product. I would cheerfully pay a modest premium for a knowledgeable store that provides a local presence. Which is why I can usually find a local, knowledgeable store that charges a modest premium over the online stores. But West is not that store!

Absolutely the only advantage that West Marine has is that usually they are near where you are, and if you aren't looking for anything unusual they might have it on the shelf. But they charge a staggering price for that.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:02   #25
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
A couple of other threads got me thinking about this.

I do not have a local chandlery. West Marine consolidated its stores here and the one that's left is a long way away. There are a number of smaller and more specialized shops that have, for example, rigging.

Many marine products aren't really marine products at all but rather are products used in other applications. The astute boat owner will consider these alternatives:

McMaster-Carr: Screws, bolts, tubing, stainless steel or plastic sheets, bars, rods, etc. Ships from 5 regional warehouses so that typically you get your stuff the next day.

Tulsa chain: Chain, shackles, slings

Grainger: Motors, belts, hydraulic parts, solvents, raw materials like pipe and plastic rods. Local warehouses in most major towns, good source for items that are difficult/expensive to ship.

SupplyHouse.com: Plumbing items, notably PEX tubing and fittings

Digikey and Mouser: Electric and electronic items such as switches, relays, fuses, connectors

marineengine.com, crowleymarine.com: Outboard parts.

I've used all these multiple times and had good, consistent results. Grainger is wholesale only but you can purchase through any business or club. The rest will sell to anyone.

I see Defender as the major east-coast online chandlery and Fisheries Supply as the major west-coast online chandlery. I use them both and find pricing and service to be similar overall.
When I need something for my boat I research available products and select the Make and Model I want. Then I get on the Internet and search for specific Make and Model Number prices plus any shipping and applicable sales tax (the range of total prices can be significant) ...then I buy. The exception is for something I'm not sure about and I might then choose West Marine as there is a local store and I can return it if necessary without any hassle.

I have not bought anything from Defender in the last couple years since they were bought by some Canadian company...I see few bargains there anymore after shipping and sales tax is added.

Depending on the item I might also choose to buy used off eBay or craigslist.
Old 08-05-2023, 13:14   #26

Amazing how retail store front operators these days seem to think customers will wait for product to be shipped to their store then come back and pick it up etc. etc. They might as well close up shop and see if they can survive as drop-shippers. Amazon, McMaster-Carr and a dozen others have that angle locked up tight: if it has to be shipped you might as well just buy online where the prices and shipping are cheaper and the service faster. Either carry the product that sells or just go invest in real estate or something!

The smaller, local hardware stores and building centers carry far more real hardware than the Home Depots. Their business plan seems to be large, high value items on financed purchases. Not smart enough to realize that all those other "small" products bring people in to your store, and keep them out of your competitor's store.

Most execs last about five years at any given company: max profits now to boost stock and their own pay and benefits and screw everything else. Raise prices until demand starts to decline is what they're taught to do, and once that happens customers are PO'd and gone and getting them back will be the job of the next guy.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 15:20   #27

Lots of great sources in this thread - I will add a few online sources for unusual items (noting that McMaster Carr is where I always start):

General chandlery (Canada): https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/inde...category=12013

General chandlery (USA): https://store.sandiegomarine.com/

Rigging parts: Stainless Steel Rings Pins & Chain Links, A4 - 316 Marine Fixings

Custom rigging, spices, the like: https://rwrope.com/

Inflatable repair supplies: https://www.nrs.com/ and https://dinghyconcepts.com/

ABA hose clamps - the best: https://www.newcoproducts.com/index....te=common/home

Plastic hose fittings: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...5800&catid=951

Propane system parts: https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...-and-Fittings/
jay2rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:22   #28

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
My longest lived sea boots were purchased about 20 yrs. ago, now, in a small shop for fishermen.
This too has changed. Now the commercial fishing shops are full of "designer" name clothing and boots. Fishermen are like lemmings, they'll all follow whatever the current fashion is in their area. And spare no expense to prove it to the rest of the crew. Hang around the commercial docks and you'll see name brands proudly emblazoned on all the gear they're wearing.

I remember when fishermen had secret sources in Scotland where some old lady made the gloves by hand out of "special" wool. We wouldn't have been caught dead in clothing or boots which had a brand name written all over them.

Maybe West Marine is right. Maybe boating is all about fashion now.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:23   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

In my local WEST store about half the floor space is dedicated to clothing apparel, designer shirts, etc and fishing gear.
I got $2 sez that store will be closing soon...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:47   #30

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertfb View Post
I enjoyed reading this thread - some solid info:

West Marine has turned into the ‘Bed Bath & Beyond’ of boating

Watch out ordering stuff at Walmart - if they are bringing items in from a 3rd party (which they will be for rare boat stuff) they wont take it back, and you will have to pay to ship it to the 3rd party company.
They call that "Walmart Marketplace". What bugs me is when you look an item up on thier website, it's hard to tell if it's an item on the shelf at the store, special order only, or third party. I'd pick it up in person if they had it.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote