Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2024, 19:24   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Dye for Sanding Gelcoat

I'll be doing some gelcoat repair on my boat and would like to find a cheaper alternative to the Dry DyeCoat that TotalBoat sells @ 72$ per small container.

Is there an alternative that's affordable for a DIY small project?

I'm not looking for pigment dye to change the color of gelcoat. I'm looking for the dye to use while sanding between different grits.
advgaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 21:39   #2

Re: Dye for Sanding Gelcoat

How about Prussian blue machinist layout dye? Not sure it’s actually cheaper, but it’s more common.

And there are a lot more choose for dry guide coat than total boat. Shop around
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 22:48   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Mabee guide coat from an automotive paint supplier?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 00:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I saw an experienced fiberglass artist check his sanding with an ordinary pencil. He scribbled lightly over the small repair and sanded it off, just like others use the spray telltale. I asked, and he said it was the old school method he learned and just took a little longer to apply.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 00:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by advgaia View Post
I'll be doing some gelcoat repair on my boat and would like to find a cheaper alternative to the Dry DyeCoat that TotalBoat sells @ 72$ per small container.

Is there an alternative that's affordable for a DIY small project?

I'm not looking for pigment dye to change the color of gelcoat. I'm looking for the dye to use while sanding between different grits.
Exactly what is wrong with the gelcoat that it needs refinishing?
Are you repairing chipped, scraped or cracked gelcoat?
Or, simply restoring lost gloss
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 05:17   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
How about Prussian blue machinist layout dye? Not sure it’s actually cheaper, but it’s more common.

And there are a lot more choose for dry guide coat than total boat. Shop around
Prussian blue has a grit. It is used for lapping surfaces.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 05:26   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have used pencil scribbles and I’ve seen others use rattle-can paint. Rustoleum sells guide coat spray cans for $12

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 05:40   #8
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

I have heard that cheap spray paint will work. You can clean it off afterword with solvent.

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/v...ic.php?t=20438
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 06:20   #9

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I used Dykem Steel Blue layout fluid (similar to Prussian Blue as mentioned by SailingHarmonie - but no grit). It's miscible with alcohol, so I diluted it about 4:1 alcohol: Dykem. 4 ounces will cost about $12.50 and will last you the rest of your life. I've also used it for sanding primer paint before rolling & tipping.
Old 27-03-2024, 06:42   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Prussian blue doesn't have a grit, it's a very opaque ink in a non-drying oil, used to identify high (or low) spots of mating surfaces (precision machined, scraped or ground surfaces). You use a diamond or other grit paste to do the lapping, then check the result using Prussian Blue. Unsuitable stuff to use for fairing - There is no good reason to add oil to a surface you probably want to stick something to, plus it's messy and would gum up your sandpaper.

Dykem could work but seems like overkill for fairing (also can be messy as is very viscous - i.e drips/runs/wicks easily

I use a very light dusting of cheap contrasting color quick-drying rattle can spray paint or purpose-made guide coat spray paint. I like the idea of the pencil (graphite) method for small areas or gross leveling, but for finding pinholes and small low spots on a large surface, guidecoat is the way to go.

Now I'm thinking more about Dykem - it might be handy to mix up and spray apply? I'll have to give it a try!
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 07:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Prussian blue has a grit. It is used for lapping surfaces.
No, it does not.

Prussian Blue is the name for a specific blue dye. Machinists use it to coat surfaces so they can scratch guide makes into it. Kind of old school now with cad/cam systems so maybe you haven’t ever actually used it. Because clearly you are confusing it with something else.
Old 27-03-2024, 07:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
Prussian blue doesn't have a grit, it's a very opaque ink in a non-drying oil, used to identify high (or low) spots of mating surfaces (precision machined, scraped or ground surfaces). You use a diamond or other grit paste to do the lapping, then check the result

……

Now I'm thinking more about Dykem - it might be handy to mix up and spray apply? I'll have to give it a try!
Actually, Prussian blue is the dye used in Dykam. It is just a different formulation of the dye to the oil based dye used to check progress of lapping. That fluid does NOT have grit in it, but it is used when lapping so I guess that is what has people confused.

But bad on me for not mentioning a specific product, since Prussian blue has many different uses. What I was trying to point the op to is layout fluid, which most certainly does dry, and in my shop was always called “Prussian blue.”
Old 27-03-2024, 09:04   #13

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I have heard that cheap spray paint will work. You can clean it off afterword with solvent.

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/v...ic.php?t=20438
+1. Use flat black spray paint. I use Prussian Blue regularly and don’t believe it’s the right thing for this application. Highly solvent, dark blue dye, with no abrasive. It’s used for metal lay out and lapping (for lapping abrasive is added).
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 13:06   #14

Boat: Pearson 323

Thanks to all of you for your answers and suggestions. I had thought of the pencil method, and will try that first. The areas are small(er) and don't believe it should pose a problem in the final result. The cheap spray paint could be an alternative.

Thanks again.
advgaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 14:40   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423

Be sure to do a test using spray paint. It could be a real mess if it doesn't work out. Otherwise go for an actual guide coat such as from Rustoleum.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...de-coat-primer
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat, sanding