Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 13:19   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Dogs don't work anymore

I just bought a 40 year old Columbia 10.7. I have two hatches with dogs to tighten them down. But the dogs or the hatches are so old that they no longer tighten enough to keep the hatches water tight.

Do I need to replace the hatches? Or is there an alternative? The lens on the forward hatch is cracked and will need to be replaced, but the the other is old but still working.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 13:30   #2

Re: Dogs don't work anymore

I would temporarily build up whatever surface they're trying to grab before I replaced anything. Maybe with a few layers of duct tape? If it worked I'd do something more permanent.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:12   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Big Jim,

It is very likely that it may be a new gasket that you need. There are stores in industrial areas that sell gasket material. Take the old gasket with you, and get a replacement one.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 30-06-2018, 08:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Big Jim,

It is very likely that it may be a new gasket that you need. There are stores in industrial areas that sell gasket material. Take the old gasket with you, and get a replacement one.

Good luck with it.

Ann
That was my thought. I have a feeling that it might be more than that, but it's a good first step.

But I may still have to re-bed the hatch even if the new gasket serves the purpose.
Old 30-06-2018, 08:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
I would temporarily build up whatever surface they're trying to grab before I replaced anything. Maybe with a few layers of duct tape? If it worked I'd do something more permanent.
As mentioned in the other comment. I'll try replacing the gasket first. But I could epoxy strips of aluminum to the dog clips, which would shorten them.

What is your aversion to replacing the hatch?
Old 03-07-2018, 17:32   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Big Jim, it really depends on where the water's coming in from. It's possible to have two different sources, if both the gasket and the under-the-lip sealant have failed. If the hatch has never been re-bedded or you don't know when/if it was, go ahead and do that now, too. It beats having the sealant fail in a seaway far from land. [I'm one of those party poopers who complains about having to sleep in a wet berth and sleeping bag due to hatch leaking.]

Ann
Old 03-07-2018, 17:51   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Hatchmasters stocks parts or will rebuild your old hatch, there's a lot of info there for repairs also. I got lucky and got some NIB Lewmar 44's at Minney's Surplus for $200, a rebuild will run you $350 probably. If the size is right to fit a new one Defender's has a pretty good sale some times, probably $450 for a new one.
https://hatchmasters.com/
BTW reglazing can be a PITA, the frames are held together by little Phillips head screws which get pretty reluctant to removal from the aluminum bar stock inside the frame. Screw heads strip so you have to drill the little rascals out.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 18:01   #8

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

On my columbia 11.8 I added a few washers between the knob and the dog. No more leaks.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 18:07   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180703_210427.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	172978 photo shows a hard plastic washer the hatch is open slightly with no seeum mesh behind it but I I think you get the idea
Old 04-07-2018, 06:16   #10

And I just realized I did a unintentional thread drift but it's such a good idea will give more details. Go to a fabric store and find some very Loosely woven fabric but tight enough so noseeums can't go through open your hatch cut a piece that will cover the hatch completely and have enough room on all the sides to put weights on. This completely stops noseeums from getting in but also allows full access to hatch without having to take a screen out and put it back in. It only costs a couple bucks and takes a few minutes to make.

Tags
dogs