Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 06:43   #1

Boat: None at the moment
DIY Pedestal Guard

I'd like to add a pedestal guard to my boat and then probably a cockpit table, etc. It's on a lake, so no real need for fancy electronics; it'd truly just be a way to install a folding cockpit table and probably some additional drink holders. I am very surprised to see the price tags the various guards carry, and feel like I must be missing something. I can find 10' of 1"-1 1/2" stainless steel tubing for $30 or so and don't think it would be that hard to find a shop that could bend it appropriately. This seems like a far too simple and cheap solution, but I can't see any reason against it...what am I missing here?
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 06:56   #2

Boat: Moody 42
Re: DIY Pedestal Guard

You're missing the need to give money to the big marine companies. The prices they get for anything to do with pedestals, steering, etc are beyond outrageous.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 07:33   #3

Glad to hear that. I've been thinking the same after looking at what they want for a cockpit table. I don't have much room in the cockpit anyway and will probably just opt for a well stained, well sealed 1X12 with routed corners and some brass hinges. May not look quite as nice as something that runs $300-$400, but for less than $20 I don't think I'll complain.
Old 26-12-2012, 08:39   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Good luck with bending the 1" tubing. It can "wrinkle" at the bends. 1 1/2" tubing is enormous, and you won't find any hardware to attach a binnacle to it. Why don't you experiment with welded angles, instead. If it's on a lake, no one probably has seen anything like it anyway. It sounds like you only need a table support, anyway. Bolt something to the main pedestal tube, or drill and tap a ledger to the main tube.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 08:53   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Some years back, I purchased the Edson taller, offset guard with the cast alu, painted binnacle bracket, and feet.
costed it out beforehand, and could not beat Edson's price.
Old 26-12-2012, 09:27   #6

You should be able to buy a 1" tube bent 180 degrees pretty reasonable. Check out railmaking shops. The hard part is the the fitting that attaches to the pedestal to stabilize the tube. DO you really need a guard at all? why not just a permanent mount table with a handhold on it? You can store things in an enclosed base of the table..... Have both sides fold down leaving the centerline cabinet in place. Or Wal Mart has a nice little all aluminum foding table for $20!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 12:21   #7

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep thinking and researching. It was just initial sticker shock that threw me off. I'm sure I'll end up trying to build something on my own, as I just need stuff to tinker with.
Old 26-12-2012, 12:47   #8

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I have had an electrician friend of mine bend 1 inch stainless steel with out a problem..........no wrinkles or blemishes.......I had it priced out at a railing shop and they wanted 90 bucks for 2 bends.....I cant blame them, they have to eat as well....but electricians have electric benders that can bend big conduit.........1 inch is a breeze for them.........

so think about any electrician friends you my have....
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 13:33   #9

Go to homedepot or lowes. In the electrical department by the conduit you can by a hand bender for about $15. Get a Length of 1" conduit for a couple bucks to practice with. 0.035 wall ss is pretty easy to bend.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:12   #10

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
The east coast just ate 30,000 sailboats. Must be Edson parts all over the place. I purchased one on this site a couple months back.
Old 26-12-2012, 15:54   #11

Boat: Irwin 40

I have tried a few of the hand benders and can say they do not work. Stainless tube has a thicker wall and does not bend like conduit. You can try filling the tube with sand and bending around a plywood form, that does work. I would look on ebay I have seen many guards there for not a lot as many get replaced for the bigger fancy ones for electronic pods. Might have to look for awhile but I am sure one will come up that will fit your needs
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 16:53   #12

Boat: Valiant 42

DaBod,

Depending on where you are in OK I might be able to help you. I have everything you are looking for I think. We are on Texoma so if you are nearby let me know.

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 07:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
DaBod,

Depending on where you are in OK I might be able to help you. I have everything you are looking for I think. We are on Texoma so if you are nearby let me know.

Dan
Thanks much! PM sent.

Tags
pedestal