Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2023, 17:24   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
DIY Bimini-Solar Arch plan

Hey all,
I want to make a solar arch. I already have the panels - they are 2x200 watt, and 2x160 watts. I want them running long ways fore and aft. I have a lot of 1" (.064" thickness) 316 stainless tubing + fittings, however will need to buy more. I don't need a dinghy arch now or in the future. I will be doing the bending myself. I want to do the bending myself. If I fail then at least I'll post a video of it

The solar panels plus all mounting hardware I'm planning to use comes out to 110lb at the most - my goal is to make this lightweight, but I do want it strong. Weight is just panels + mounting hardware; not including the tubes.

I'm planning on using a T connector to connect the verticals to the horizontal support, but arching (via 2 bends) the 'horizontal' support to make it stronger. I'm sure many will suggest going to 1.5" tubing, but I do have hardware for the 1" already, and either way want to use standard hardware (at least at first) to fit it together.
I am thinking that I'll want some additional angled supports to add rigidity, but the span is pretty wide - about 8.5 feet.

Would the bends in the horizontal supports with the thicker 1" tube be strong enough for 110 lbs?
Edit to add: the panels themselves aren't too heavy, but they are large so will have the windage of what would normally be a heavier design.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bimini plan.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	278801  
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, bimini, DIY, solar