Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 16:14   #1

current cost estimate for replacing teak deck with nonskid?

i need to estimate the cost of replacing the glued teak deck of a 50 foot
Grand Soleil 1997. i am in southern california.
i think the deck underneath the teak is ok, but will have it imaged to make sure. so just the cost of taking off the teak and the glue, gel coating and painting with non-skid. it is a pretty boat so i want a good looking job.
could do it stateside or take it to Ensenada in Baja. would prefer to do it in California. but ....
chriscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 16:23   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: current cost estimate for replacing teak deck with nonskid?

I have no idea what the cost would be Chris . However these guys will tell you what it would cost to go their way .Flexiteek - The original synthetic teak decking for boats
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 20:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I got a price of $25K from Baja Naval for our Hudson Force 50.
So far I'm about $5K in materials and almost done by doing it myself....it's all labor!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 06:38   #4

was that $25k estimate from Baja Naval for teak replacement or for taking off the teak and putting on a non-skid surface. and was the teak on your boat screwed or glued?
chriscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 07:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscd View Post
was that $25k estimate from Baja Naval for teak replacement or for taking off the teak and putting on a non-skid surface. and was the teak on your boat screwed or glued?
$25K to Remove teak, Remove and replace any "wet Core" (we had already done samples and knew that from 10-25% of the core was wet and needed to be replaced with new marine ply), apply new fiberglass over deck (3 layers of 1708 cloth), apply epoxy barrier coat, Epoxy primer, and then apply 2-part paint, and then apply Kiwi Grip nonskid. My $5K in materials costs includes all of the above except the Kiwi Grip...I haven't gotten to that stage yet.

At the end of the day I don't honestly think that price is out of hand when you consider the huge amount of labor. The price I got in Ventura was $30-40K, which to me seemed like a "we don't want to mess with it price". But in reality I think it was a "we are paying California wages and taxes price".

If you have the TIME..then it is a job that you can learn and do (heck I'm no rocket scientist and I'm doing a nice job that everyone who see's it thinks looks great) but Amigo...this is a TIME...HUGE Time and labor intensive job. If I didn't have my 18yr old son out there helping me...the labor side would sink me.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 09:10   #6

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I believe Rich has stated in previous posts that his teak deck was screwed on.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 09:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Check if your teak is naturally grown (used up to the 80ies) If so renew screws and sika, grind it a last time and wash it weekly with a soft brush and saltwater. Only replace plant grown (african) teak and/or teak younger than 30 years. Do not apply paint or teak oil. All of it ruins your teak. If teak is some sort of worn out DO NOT GRIND IT keep it as it is it's natural
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:31   #8

Boat: Hughs 38

What sort of time? I know it's a lot but I'm looking at a boat where i will probably need to do the whole deck. It's only a 28 ft sailboat but I will be all on my own. I actually can spend the time to do this but I'm not sure about the costs.

I am expecting 3-5 layers of glass (maybe more?) and epoxy to be the big ticket items. The glass though is between 3 and 5 hundred. The epoxy I have no idea how much it will take. Anybody who's done this... if you could give me estimates on what you did and how much epoxy you used.

Thanks.
sedentary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, deck, teak, teak deck