Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 19:25   #1

Boat: Hartley RORC 32
converting tiller steering to wheel steering

has anyone got any ideas on converting a tiller steering system to wheel
this is for a 32 hartley rorc, still to fit the rudder and internal fitout, so easy conversion should be possible
I have many ideas on cogs and geared drive, but am also wondering on cable or hydraulic
Any suggestions are welcome
cheers
hooked on water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 19:43   #2

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
cable seems to be the most common with hydraulic a second to that. there are differences to both. Some say the hydraulic doesn't let you feel the rudder, but holds a course better. I've never heard of a geared drive on a boat that size, it seems like it would add a lot of unneeded weight.

In my honest opinion though, why would you want to get rid of the tiller? You've got a simple system that I assume works(or could be made to work more easily than a wheel), why make it more complicated?

It's your boat, your decision, however.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 20:33   #3

Am moving the cockpit to the rear, and the tiller would now be situated about 500mm from the rear of the cockpit, so the tiller would be coming out of the floor

Any other suggestions here would also be good

Could even fit a bracing to take the tiller connection and have the tiller within cockpit confines
Old 09-04-2008, 20:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Second the Why!!! If you are moving the cockpit aft, it's a no brainer for using a tiller. For one, the ease of connection of a Pendulum Servo self steering vane.

Currently have my first wheel and I swear at the damn thing every minute I'm out sailing with it. Had to scrap the P/S self steering because of the inertia in the wheel system. Wheel steering is not intuitive, gives poor feedback and feel, and, if the wheel is all the way aft, leaves you as the target of every bit of spray that comes aboard. Also find wheels way more tiring to steer than the wheel.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 22:13   #5

the problem I have is the design of the boat has the tiller 900mm from the transom which means that I would some how have to have it amid the cockpit or try shift it to the stern

do you see any problems with leaving the tiller placed more centrally in the cockpit, the tiller still fits before the cabin still