Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 22:22   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Centerboard stuffing box

Hi, How do I change the stuffing box for the centerboard on my Irwin 30? Is this the same as a prop stuffing box? Please advise before we sink!!
Thanks
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 00:43   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: centerboard stuffing box

Pics please, as well as a better description of the problem. Also, I'm guessing that there's a class association, or similar, for the boat, which has a "file" full of notes on this issue.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 00:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Centerboard stuffing box

If not the pictures, then maybe a description. I assume that the stuffing is to be changed and not the stuffing box. Also, the location where water is leaking into the boat is likely not at the centerboard, but the cable that lifts the centerboard,- right?
So, the centerboard cable passes through a tube and this tube is maybe capped with a threaded stuffing box near where the cable is wound onto a drum?

Give us a photo or a clear detailed description.
Old 10-07-2015, 14:53   #4

Hi and thanks for the replies...Here are the only 2 pix that I can get to upload. The one with the jigsaw is where I cut the floor out to find only more fiberglass with water running over the top of it. So the leak is forward...
With the floorboard removed in front of the toilet, all from there forward is bone dry.The thru hulls are ok as well as the transducers (depth/speed).
I would think I must tear up the floor and get an idea of what is there...how hard is it to remove the bulkhead?
Thanks a lot...
Old 10-07-2015, 15:52   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We need more information! Is this a Competition 30, a Citation 30, or another? What's the year? No photos were presented. Can you not see the point of water entering?
Old 10-07-2015, 16:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't know your boat but most boats have the centerboard cable running in a tube with enclosed sheaves where it turns corner. There is no stuffing box just the exit point of the cable from the tube well above the waterline. The way you'd have a stuffing box is if there was a rod that lowered the board and passed through a stuffing box where it goes through the hull. Haven't seen any of that type but could be in your boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 17:01   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Don't know your boat but most boats have the centerboard cable running in a tube with enclosed sheaves where it turns corner. There is no stuffing box just the exit point of the cable from the tube well above the waterline. The way you'd have a stuffing box is if there was a rod that lowered the board and passed through a stuffing box where it goes through the hull. Haven't seen any of that type but could be in your boat.

+1

Is the actual point of leakage established?

Could it be leaking at a sheave or turning point of the cable?

Is the cable conduit/tube leaking?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 17:35   #8

Hi all, well, it saddens me to say that it is NOT the delrin rod and stuffing box. A scuba diver went down 3 times to confirm that there is a hole in my boat! This is after I paid a marina in Kemah to do a full bottom job! There is some shoddy patchwork and it was painted over. I am not a happy camper! There are no haul outs here in Tampico and I don't know what I'll do now.It's a 3 day sail to S. Padre Island...I am glad that my job kept me from tearing more of the floor up today as well.
I want to thank you ALL for the advice and for trying to help me figure this thing out. This site and the people on it are the BEST there is.

Tags
centerboard