Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 14:49   #1

buying components overseas?

I have started purchasing all the components for my new boat.
I am based in Brisbane Australia but I am having a difficult time getting realistic prices from Australian companies.

So far, I have ordered most of the components from the USA and airfreighted them over here.
Chart plotter, autopilot, radar,charts,electrical components, anchor winch, parachute anchor, desalinator pumps and membranes etc.
I purchased a 2.5 X40 seawater membrane for US $161.00. In Australia I was quotated US $1,000
I estimate that I have saved $10,000 so far.
I will have to buy batteries here of course.

The next thing is the Satellite phone, I want an iridium motorola 9505A, the price here is over $2,000 but the calling plans offered are more expensive and not as suitable as the plans from the USA.
Is there any reason why I can't sign up for an American plan plus phone?
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 18:09   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I have also been buying components from overseas, including chartplotter, deck hardware, rope, wind instruments, depth sounder, etc. To be honest, I would prefer to support my local chandlers, and if the price difference was only small, I would, but frankly, most of the stuff I have been getting has been 25-50% of the price qoted locally... I just cannot afford to not buy from overseas, a shame though that is.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 20:25   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
And here, I thought we were being raked across the coals............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 22:22   #4

weyalan,
I contacted my local chandlery store, told them of the web site address in the USA, WMJ in Carlsbad, he offered to buy them for me from that same store.
I offered him 15% on top of the USA prices, and he refused.
The other thing I have noticed is that the products that are for sale in australia are usually last years model. That does not matter if it is an anchor but it DOES matter if it is a Chartplotter.
Old 11-04-2007, 22:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Make sure you also check out listings on our NZ site www.trademe.co.nz
If you need, I am happy to help with being a "hub" for sendign stuff on if the NZ seller does not want to freight to Oz. Some excellent deals come up quite often.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 22:32   #6

Thanks Alan, I appreciate that.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04   #7

Boat: now floating easy37
why didnt you get the membrane from the membraneshop.com.au 470$ odd dollars?
also how much and what was your desalinator pump?
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 15:23   #8

northern cat.

I am copying the system on the internet by basics

I have purchased two 2.5" X 40 " sea water membranes for US$161.00 each or AUD $196.00 plus two pressure vessels for US$261 each and that is RETAIL. Home Reverse Osmosis
The pump is a CAT pump247 plus pressure regulator Cost including freight US$1410.00.(Depco Pump company Florida)

This will give me 40 US gallons and hour plus the backup of having two pressure vessels and two membranes.
I will run the Cat pump off my electic start 10.5 hp Honda (chonda A$495) which will also run 2 X 100 amp car alternators. (not all together)

I almost went with using a pressure washer pump, but decided in the end to copy exactly the system put togeteher by s/v quintessence, so I that I "know" the systen will work properly.

Also I purchased ALL of my electronics, chartplotter, auto pilot,radar from GPS | Fish finder | Boat part | Marine Supply | Marine Electronics in Carlsbad California. Very good prices and excellent service. I reckon I have saved $10,000 so far by buying offshore. I also have received the "current" models not last season leftovers.
I have found I can even buy the motorola sat phone9050A plus a 12 month prepaid for under $2,000 whereas in Australia it would be $3,500.00.

I must thank, again, the members of this forum for helping me to source the best products for my needs at the best prices. Thank you All.