Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 13:49   #1

Buying boat with fifteen - twenty small blisters...what to do??

Hi!

So we got a survey done on the boat we want to buy yesterday. Everything was perfect besides the surveyor said there are about 15 small blisters (cosmetic only) about a fourth an inch on the hull. The boat is a 1986 caliber 28. I'm wondering if I should move through with the purchase? Should these be fixed next time I pull it out on June? Also what's the running cost of getting blisters like these fixed? Thanks so muxh!
Curtinjulianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 14:23   #2

Re: Buying boat with fifteen - twenty small blisters...what to do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtinjulianna View Post
Hi!

So we got a survey done on the boat we want to buy yesterday. Everything was perfect besides the surveyor said there are about 15 small blisters (cosmetic only) about a fourth an inch on the hull. The boat is a 1986 caliber 28. I'm wondering if I should move through with the purchase? Should these be fixed next time I pull it out on June? Also what's the running cost of getting blisters like these fixed? Thanks so muxh!
That's not a serious issue, especially if they are small and shallow. If you want the boat, buy it. Repair, if needed, is simple for blisters that don't go deep in the the laminate.

I have hauled a boat and seen small blisters like that, and neglected to mark them when it came out of the water. Came back after the boat was sitting dry for a week, and they were all gone...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 15:39   #3

Re: Buying boat with fifteen - twenty small blisters...what to do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtinjulianna View Post
Hi!

Blisters are a visual clue telling you that the laminate has a high moisture content

To make an intelligent decision.... you must hire a surveyor to measure the moisture content of the laminate
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters, boat, buying