Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 18:43   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Bulkhead Replacement-Advice Needed

Hard to picture exactly what you are describing - but sounds like you have reached the stage of "whatever works"!.......just make sure you don't drill / cut / hammer through the hull etc!

Appreciate you are intending to use the biulkhead as a template - but nonetheless likely scope to be a bit brutal with it, even if that means a few chunks coming out seperately (or get chewed up to oblivion!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 19:32   #32

Boat: Orca 38

I replaced a forward bulkhead this winter and easy it was not.
I decided to use Richlite instead of wood. I won't be replacing it again.

I ended up using a grinder and pissing off all my neighbors.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	53248  
Old 21-01-2013, 09:00   #33

Have you cut it into smaller pieces.. maybe with a skil saw? that would allow some leverage on each piece. or there's always this handy tool...: Hard to visualize what you're up against... is all the cabinetry on each side out of the way?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:04   #34

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

Cheechako...there is no cabinetry on either side. It's just a simple 1/2" plywood bulkhead with access on both sides.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:10   #35

hmmm.... so the tabbing is cut bottom, top and against the hull right? I guess you just need more force! apply the above pictured tool liberally!
Sorry.... there's a comic born every minute!

Old 21-01-2013, 09:41   #36

I have cut through the tabbing location (blue area) and can't get it to budge. I'm thinking of slide hammer hooked through hole and banging away.
Old 21-01-2013, 11:00   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

My bet is that the bit near the upside down L shape (a bunk?) is at least glued on - could even be deliberately solidy fixed, I see no reason why not as not against the hull. Plus the bottom even if intended to have a gap with hull would have had gravity to cope with when originally fixed in place.

I would be minded to take the bulkhead out in two (or more!) pieces! Make the problem smaller! Before cutting (pretty much where access allows) could screw a couple of battens to the bulkhead, remove before cutting! but when bulkhead out would then allow you to reassemble and ignore the cut (and air gap!).

In any event although old bulkhead to be used as a pattern it won't be exact - will still have a few hours of fiddling to fit!....especially as likely it was fitted before the deck was bolted on!

Just a thought (before bulkhead comes out - what about marking the hull etc edge say 2 inches inside all the way around? (use a small block of wood), that way even though the edges will be chewed up during removal you will know that the "Good" edge for the new bulkhead is that line plus 2 inches. That way could be less shy about carrying on with the blue cut line! (as long as inside your 2 inch line, or make the line 3 inches deep!)
Old 21-01-2013, 11:04   #38

"Cheechako...there is no cabinetry on either side. It's just a simple 1/2" plywood bulkhead with access on both sides"
Apparantly there is no bunk etc. I'm not sure a slide hammer will do much. Just get a 3# slegehammer. The closer to the edge the better....

Old 21-01-2013, 11:14   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"Cheechako...there is no cabinetry on either side. It's just a simple 1/2" plywood bulkhead with access on both sides"
Apparantly there is no bunk etc. I'm not sure a slide hammer will do much. Just get a 3# slegehammer. The closer to the edge the better....
By "bunk" I meant that upside down L must be over some interior furniture - either that or a funny shaped hull side .

My hesitation with the sledgehammer (despite being oh so tempting!) is the strain put elsewhere (wanna avoid trying to smash 1/2 inch of ply in two!) - plus even if it does work will be chewing up the panel edges anyway, so IMO might as well carry on cutting, as long you mark up what you have left behind ...........after that should have a better idea of WTF the problem is / was as the left over edges get tied up.

But hard to give definative "advice" without getting hands on - in real life I would carry on going until something gave way using whatever I had to hand and could think of to try, rather than any special approved method. Whatever "gave way" may not of course be what was intended by me - I have history..........
Old 21-01-2013, 11:42   #40

Maybe this helps. Not sure if you can read my note.
Old 21-01-2013, 11:49   #41

So the port setee is against the bulkhead. R U sure the setee is not attached to the bulkhead? usually would be....

Old 21-01-2013, 11:56   #42

The bulkhead sits on top of the setee, right at the edge. It is not attached to the edge of the setee at all. The area between the two port bulkheads is the head location, with a molded in "raised" platform where the head mounts. The bottom-most part of the bulkhead screws into the exposed (aft) side of the raised platform to secure things.
Old 23-01-2013, 13:44   #43

Say hello to my little friend. I'm gonna hook this sucker through the hole in the bulkhead and hopefully pop the thing lose. We'll see...
Old 25-01-2013, 07:00   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Say hello to my little friend. I'm gonna hook this sucker through the hole in the bulkhead and hopefully pop the thing lose. We'll see...
Well...that didn't work. Tonight...DYNAMITE!
Old 25-01-2013, 11:13   #45

Prying with a bar will put a lot more force than a slide hammer. I cant help much more, because I really cant visualize the issue. If it's cut free it should come out easy... otherwise, something's not free I guess....