Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2022, 09:30   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Building a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I find the PT11 and the PT Spear highly attractive. They might be my choice.
I agree, especially the PT11 is awesome, unfortunately the plans are not sold and a kit is way to expensive to get it shipped over here.

By the way the Spindrift dinghy series is also very nice, even without our custom deck.
Easy to built too.

https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/spindrift
Attachment 266974
Old 08-11-2022, 10:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I agree, especially the PT11 is awesome, unfortunately the plans are not sold and a kit is way to expensive to get it shipped over here.

By the way the Spindrift dinghy series is also very nice, even without our custom deck.
Easy to built too.

https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/spindrift
Attachment 266974
Thanks Franziska, I like the looks of the Spindrift. I do prefer a "pointed" bow rather than a flat bow... just an aesthetic hang-up I have, I guess.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 14:20   #18

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Thanks Franziska, I like the looks of the Spindrift. I do prefer a "pointed" bow rather than a flat bow... just an aesthetic hang-up I have, I guess.
The standart Spindrift has a pointed bow, we had to modify ours to fit to our new solar arch/david system. So it was a necessary compromise rather than esthetic choice, even though we tried to disguise it with the painted bow [emoji846]
Old 08-11-2022, 15:45   #19

Boat: Beneteau 423

I am thinking of the same project this winter and also searching out designs. Emily (of Clark and Emily) built very popular design, the Eastport Pram. Dani and Asher of Youtube Sailing Baccus Home also built an Eastport. They show it rowing, powered by an electric outboard, and sailing. It looks quite nice. I believe it can be nesting, or not, as Emily started it thinking it was nesting but the plans they sent were not nesting. The ended up modifying it to make it nesting.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 07:28   #20

Lee boards with a hard chine does away with a centre board case
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 07:56   #21

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I built a Passagemaker dinghy several years ago. I really enjoyed the build process, with all of the pieces being laser cut and very well made. Once finished, I sold it. My boat was down in Mexico and I didn't want to drive the dinghy all the way down there. This is a great rowing dinghy and pretty good under sale also. You can make it as a nesting dinghy too.

My .02, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 08:21   #22

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

We love our Journeyman dinghy.
Rows and sails really really well. And nearly planes with just a 4hp 2-stroke Yamaha outboard and 1 person aboard.

https://www.journeymandinghy.com/
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 08:27   #23

somewhere in my books is a copy of herrishoff (pardon the spelling)building a dinghy... its beautiful and I have seen one built..about 11 foot.. if you have the time and skill it was one of the most beautifully designed and built dinghy I have ever seen... good luck
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 08:36   #24

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmonkey View Post
somewhere in my books is a copy of herrishoff (pardon the spelling)building a dinghy... its beautiful and I have seen one built..about 11 foot.. if you have the time and skill it was one of the most beautifully designed and built dinghy I have ever seen... good luck

As I recall that's a lapstrake design with non-developable surfaces that preclude a plywood build. It's a heavy boat when built as drawn.
Old 14-11-2022, 11:23   #25
I14

Boat: Coral Seas 36 displacement launch

I built a NZ designed 8' dinghy out of foam and glass by tacking the foam sheets together as the originally designed ply sheets were supposed to be. Quite a lot of finishing work but wouldn't be if I'd used ply. Was light, under 100lbs, perhaps 30kgs. Rig is a 2 piece carbon section and sail came from a Hobie of some sort. I copied the rig setup I have on my OK dinghy so it rotates, no gooseneck. Tried to make it look nice with hardwood veneer glued over foam ends that showed. Can be sailed, rowed or takes our little Mercury 2.5hp outboard. Have some pics but don't want to create a domain name
I14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 14:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I built a Chameleon last winter. ... Yes the sloop rig is faster on a reach and points better on a beat but not by much. I have short-tacked the sprit rig on my Chameleon upwind through narrow channels.
Hmm.. I'm about to start work on shaping both the rudder and daggerboard for my Chameleon to NACA foil profiles. (I just printed out the templates for them yesterday.) From everything I've read, the potential performance benefits to be gained compared to the "plank" designs of the original plans, may well put both dinghys on an equal par, or even give the edge to the Chameleon.
Old 14-11-2022, 14:19   #27

Boat: Tartan 3800

I also cut NACA sections for the foils.

In the plans, the daggerboard is in three pieces. The plans show the outer two pieces of the daggerboard cut back to make it easier to shape. These cuts are too deep to allow an NACA section to be cut accurately on the daggerboard. I ended up filling the gaps slightly, and adjusting the lines slightly away from NACA to make it work.

It isn't by much. If you add half an inch of material you will probably be OK.
Old 14-11-2022, 14:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I also cut NACA sections for the foils.

In the plans, the daggerboard is in three pieces. The plans show the outer two pieces of the daggerboard cut back to make it easier to shape. These cuts are too deep to allow an NACA section to be cut accurately on the daggerboard. I ended up filling the gaps slightly, and adjusting the lines slightly away from NACA to make it work.

It isn't by much. If you add half an inch of material you will probably be OK.
Thanks for the tip.. I'd already added some filler to the cut-back areas of the rudder for that very reason. I'll keep it in mind for the daggerboard as well.
Old 14-11-2022, 17:51   #29
I14

Boat: Coral Seas 36 displacement launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I14 View Post
I built a NZ designed 8' dinghy out of foam and glass by tacking the foam sheets together as the originally designed ply sheets were supposed to be. Quite a lot of finishing work but wouldn't be if I'd used ply. Was light, under 100lbs, perhaps 30kgs. Rig is a 2 piece carbon section and sail came from a Hobie of some sort. I copied the rig setup I have on my OK dinghy so it rotates, no gooseneck. Tried to make it look nice with hardwood veneer glued over foam ends that showed. Can be sailed, rowed or takes our little Mercury 2.5hp outboard. Have some pics but don't want to create a domain name
Found out how to load some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_085429.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	267477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rigged at home Dec 2019.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	267478  

Name:	First Sail Whangaroa Jan 2022_1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	267479  
I14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 19:05   #30

Boat: Cape George 38

I built an Eastport Pram a few years back. It is smaller than what you are looking for, but it is a CLC kit boat (baby sister to the Passagemaker). It wasn't hard to build, although I had to continually fight off my OCD and remember I was building a dinghy and not furniture.

The pram is super fun to sail - very nimble/quick! I agree with Jammer that simplicity of rig is key. The Eastport Pram has a standing lug rig which is really quick to rig/de-rig/store. Not having any stays to mess around with is awesome! Mine is the nesting version... not so much to nest on the mothership but to take up less space when stored off-season in the garage. I mostly sail/row it alone, but occasionally I will take my wife out and row from the "bow station".

Tim

Name:	eastportpram.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	267483
svpatience is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, sail, sailing