Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 09:14   #16

Re: Building a Bruce Roberts PCF40. Steel..

Good design, the Traveller 45 is quite a bit better but was 10 tonnes more.
Started the build already? I think there is a more modern, taller rig version.
I would pick Ted Brewer's Puffin if I want to go smaller.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I can't find any information on the "Traveller 45" ????
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I can't find any information on the "Traveller 45" ????
https://www.bruceroberts.com/public/HTML/TRAVELER45.htm
This one, you can email Mr Roberts for more details.

If you aren't professional in working with steel, it is better to have a yard to make the hull, and do the fitting yourself.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

nah, Interesting looking boat, looks more like a motor sailer than a regular sailboat, not that there is anything wrong with that, but not what I'm after....
Old 03-09-2020, 13:22   #20

Quote:
nah, Interesting looking boat, looks more like a motor sailer than a regular sailboat, not that there is anything wrong with that, but not what I'm after....
You are looking at a motorsailer thread, the PCF40 is indeed a motorsailer.
Maybe you should look at something like Van de Stadt if you are building.
Old 03-09-2020, 14:10   #21

Boat: Building, Roberts PCF40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I built a Roberts 43 trawler. I'd enjoy sharing experiences.
Mate more than happy to, I looked at the 43 Trawler nice boat, however I wanted some canvas. How long have you had the 43?
oldmansfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 14:18   #22

They are a great boat, had a issue with the rudder design. however there is a fix for it. I will keep posting about the build maybe a photo or two, but as per the rules i will not post video links.
Old 03-09-2020, 14:21   #23

Quote:
to coopec43, that is a beautiful boat. I can't say why I'm so enamored by the Mauritius 43, but I am, maybe it's the name. In my voyaging, I've seen a few varieties of the 43 in steel and fiberglass. They just push all the right buttons for me. If there was one in my neck of the woods I'd go and see it as I'm shopping for my 4th boat.

I've attached a pic of my 38.....it was a great boat, but needed that extra 5'....

hope this isn't considered a thread drift...but this thread appears to have met it's end...
They are a great boat, had an issue with the rudder design. however, there is a fix for it. I will keep posting about the build maybe a photo or two, but as per the rules, I will not post video links.
Old 03-09-2020, 19:39   #24

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

They (the Mauritius 43) are a decent boat in many ways. But there is an issue with the rudder design and placement. This is not a trivial issue, and must be dealt with if you want a directionally stable sailing boat (and who doesn’t want that?).

It’s not a hard fix if you do it during construction; but is a major job to do after the fact.

I just did this on my BR 47, which is a Mauritius derivative. Incredible difference- it’s a new boat.

Once the change is done, these are lovely sailing boats.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 20:59   #25

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
They (the Mauritius 43) are a decent boat in many ways. But there is an issue with the rudder design and placement. This is not a trivial issue, and must be dealt with if you want a directionally stable sailing boat (and who doesn’t want that?).

It’s not a hard fix if you do it during construction; but is a major job to do after the fact.

I just did this on my BR 47, which is a Mauritius derivative. Incredible difference- it’s a new boat.

Once the change is done, these are lovely sailing boats.
Mauritius/ Norfilk 43 Rudder Modificationwww.finelineboatplans.com › bruce-roberts-mauritius-norfolk-43-rud...

$20.00 - ‎In stock
... in the early seventies) difficult to steer downwind, especially the shallow drafted ketch version. This can be rectified by altering the keel/rudder configuration,

Not surprising some of the shallow draft ketches had a problem!

I've increased the draft by 3 inches on my Roberts Mauritius. When The owner of the BR Plans outlet in Australia saw a photo of what I had done he said "You did the right thing with the rudder"

Here's hoping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	222653  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:33   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

The Robert's Mauritius was a long keel boat which became the Roberts Offshore which had the same hull and deck design but had a fin keel and skeg hung rudder. Both good boats.

I built a modified Robert's design in steel and whilst it was a good boat it was very difficult to maintain. I now have a FG boat but had I been 10 years younger would have built another steel boat. I had a small electrical fire a while back and it scared the hell out of me.

With what I learned from the Roberts build I'm pretty sure I could build a steel boat which required little more maintenance than the boat I have now and I would feel much more secure in it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 14:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Mauritius/ Norfilk 43 Rudder Modificationwww.finelineboatplans.com › bruce-roberts-mauritius-norfolk-43-rud...

$20.00 - ‎In stock
... in the early seventies) difficult to steer downwind, especially the shallow drafted ketch version. This can be rectified by altering the keel/rudder configuration,

Not surprising some of the shallow draft ketches had a problem!

I've increased the draft by 3 inches on my Roberts Mauritius. When The owner of the BR Plans outlet in Australia saw a photo of what I had done he said "You did the right thing with the rudder"

Here's hoping

Yep, Phil from fineline was helpful to me as well.

In my case it wasn't draft that was the issue- we draw almost 7'. It was 'too short a wheelbase'. The rudder was too far forward, too small, and a barn door with a poor aperture and bad flow over it. Could not keep the boat on a straight course for 10 seconds if you left the wheel, no matter the sail balance or motoring rpm. Was horrible.

I moved the rudder aft about 5' (yes- five feet!), and built a new, partially balanced rudder that was about 60% larger. I extended the keel aft to pick up the heel of the new rudder. All new steel. To offset the weight of all this new steel (about 350 lbs) I made it hollow and sealed the sections. Net weight ended up less than 50lbs immersed; so no change at all in trim.

Result: incredible. Boat is light on the helm, balances beautifully, and is easily 3/4 knot faster on all points. Motion is smoother, less sloshing around, she doesn't hunt for a course. the wake is cleaner and the autopilot barely moves underway now. Power consumption is down as a result.

I couldn't be happier. It was a big job to do, but changed the boat immeasurably.

I have pics if anyone is interested.

Bg
Old 04-09-2020, 19:51   #28

Boat: Roberts 45

Yep purchased a Mauritius with the rudder already relocated. Have modified it to be more balanced (I guess that's an oxymoron) by bringing 20% of the overall rudder area forward of the stock. Welded some plate with some gussets and faired it. Have motored with it and it improved turning circle considerably in forward but I don't expect much going in reverse. I do however expect a considerable reduction in autopilot power draw particularly with an aft quartering sea. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_164829.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	222708
Velella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:03   #29

Looks good!
Old 06-09-2020, 06:06   #30
Marine Service Provider

I've read that earlier Roberts models...ie 60's and 70's had some issues, since rectified....but I never had a problem with my 38. I did do some modifications to it here and there, so it ended up being close to 40...but it always sailed like a dream and tracked like a train. It was just 5' too short and a tad on the narrow side.....11'-3" beam....which tapered quickly for and aft...interior space was at a premium...

The 38 had the independent skeg hung rudder and fin keel. My mast sections were also a bit taller....not by design....I just so happened to get them that way, but probably added another 100 SF or so to the sail area...I seem to recall moving the main mast position by about 6 inches....can't recall why I did that...but whatever the reason, the boat was an exceptional steady sailor.

The scantlings were quite heavy though and were I to do it again...I'd throw a lot of that out...that thing was built like a tank.....every early Roberts I've ever seen, was several inches below it's lines, some more so.
These days, with laser cutting, etc, you can buy a Roberts as a kit boat...everything pre-cut, etc. wish I had that back in the day.....

Wish I was 50 years younger.... would probably give it another go....

Tags
bruce roberts, steel