Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 17:26   #31

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Bottom Paint Choices - PPG, Interlux, Petit

I was talked into Sherwin Williams in the keys (4 coats).. I have now been cruising the Caribbean for 8 months and just got hauled (for other reasons). My paint still looks fantastic.. Even after spending 3 weeks in Luperon.

Since, I'm hauled anyway, I would love to add more paint, but I can't get it down here. So I'm considering putting another brand of ablative over top.. We will see.

If you are looking for an affordable paint, think about Sherwin Williams.. I even had one person down here tell me they did 11 coats and couldn't be happier with the results. They are hoping for 3-4 years before repainting.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:33   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Take your caliber to the bahamas have her hauled out and have the Paint thats outlawed here put on.
Wow. ***k the environment much?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:37   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I even had one person down here tell me they did 11 coats and couldn't be happier with the results. They are hoping for 3-4 years before repainting.
Your friend wasted about 8 coats of paint, I'm afraid. Anti fouling paints work by allowing water to penetrate the paint matrix, thereby releasing the biocide. But beyond much more than 3 coats, this doesn't occur. And with 3 coats of a high quality paint, you will still get 3+ years of good performance.
Old 29-09-2016, 17:46   #34

Boat: Liberty 458

We follow local advice. Had zspar in the SF bay area and now seahawk biocop in the PNW. We haul every 2 years.

When we head down through panama in a few years we'll put an ablative over the current hard paint. Then we'll haul on the east coast.

If you will be moving then an ablative. If sitting in a marina then a hard paint.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:52   #35

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Well I am asking about the Caribbean...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 22:39   #36

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Interesting on the Petit Vivid. We used last two jobs. First time lasted 2.5 years. The second time (about 10 months ago) and we've been pulled 2x since for repainting. It just is not holding up. Good yard that stands behind work - had Petit come out and said it was acting as expected. But we've had some barnacles since month 4 and paint at waterline almost gone in less than a year. We only wipe with old t-shirts. Nothing different from last time. Kept in same canal in SE Florida. Something doesn't seem right with Petit Vivid now.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 23:45   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've yet to come across a Vivid bottom that I didn't recommend for new paint after about a year. 2.5 years? You and I have a vastly different idea of what "lasted" means.
Old 30-09-2016, 01:24   #38

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Your friend wasted about 8 coats of paint, I'm afraid. Anti fouling paints work by allowing water to penetrate the paint matrix, thereby releasing the biocide. But beyond much more than 3 coats, this doesn't occur. And with 3 coats of a high quality paint, you will still get 3+ years of good performance.
Hhmm that is strange.. Everyone else has told me that ablative paint work by wearing away and thus exposing more cuprous oxide. Of course ablatives only work if you are moving. In the event of not moving most of the cruisers down here will scrub their bottom (usually just a rag) to simulate movement.

Since Sherwin Williams is an ablative paint, it stands to reason that 11 coats will suffer more scrubbing (or take more movement) to wear away. So in this case, I'm sure my friend would disagree with you!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 01:41   #39

We've been happy with the ABC 3. Have used Jotun (not much success), Altex no5 (stayed clean but wore off very quickly) and ABC 3. Stays clean, lasts well.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 07:28   #40
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Hhmm that is strange.. Everyone else has told me that ablative paint work by wearing away and thus exposing more cuprous oxide. Of course ablatives only work if you are moving. In the event of not moving most of the cruisers down here will scrub their bottom (usually just a rag) to simulate movement.

Since Sherwin Williams is an ablative paint, it stands to reason that 11 coats will suffer more scrubbing (or take more movement) to wear away. So in this case, I'm sure my friend would disagree with you!
You and your pal would do well to educate yourselves a little bit about anti fouling paint. It might save you some time, money and embarrassment.

1.- While it is true that ablative paints do wear away (much like like a bar of soap) as water moves past the paint's surface, they also leach their biocide passively, which is the process I described previously. If they did not, they would foul horribly while the boat is in a slip or at anchor or on a mooring.

2.- There is a maximum "mil thickness" for anti fouling paint to be effective. This corresponds to 2 or 3 properly applied coats of paint. This is not a matter of opinion; it is a matter of chemistry and physics. If you doubt this, I suggest you go to any paint manufacturer's web site and do a little reading on the subject.

3.- Sherwin Williams is not "an ablative paint." Sherwin Williams is a multinational corporation that produces (amongst many other coatings) a variety of anti fouling paint products, including hard paints, vinyl paints, foul release coatings and yes, a couple ablative paints. When discussing the effectiveness of particular product, it helps your credibility if you can at least identify to your readers which product you are talking about.
Old 30-09-2016, 08:38   #41

Boat: Pearson 34-II

We are heading South in the Spring again and will travel with our existing paint and ,once in Florida, switch to Petit Vivid which is a hybrid technology of ablative and hard finish which we have used with outstanding results on our
Quote:

With regard to Rognvald's thought on switching to Petit Vivid: I used Vivid for three seasons but switched about five years ago. Though professionally applied, I was having a lot of problems with the paint. Other than being rather poor as an antifoulant, the paint was would get soft in the area near the waterline. Prior to the final time I used it, I had a Petit rep inspect the paint. He worked with the yard foreman and the application was made in strict accordance with the rep's recommendations. In a matter of a month or so the paint was going bad and Petit did nothing to stand behind their product.

I am now a confirmed user of anything but Petit products.

Thanks for the great feedback, Seighlor! Perhaps there are differences between salt and fresh water applications for Vivid. I would be very interested to hear from those on this Forum who have had negative results with Petit's Vivid in saltwater. We were very happy with Petit's Aquaclean/Hydrocoat when our boat was in the Tropics for ten years and there would be no reason to switch if there is a real problem with the paint. Vivid has been an outstanding paint on our rudder in fresh water (which experiences considerable turbulence) and we have several boatyard "neighbors" who are happy with its performance. Any other comments on Vivid? Good luck and safe sailing, Rognvald
Old 30-09-2016, 08:45   #42
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I would be very interested to hear from those on this Forum who have had negative results with Petit's Vivid in saltwater.
I have extensive experience with Pettit Vivid in the moderate fouling of San Francisco Bay. I find that while it lasts, its anti fouling properties are quite good. The problem is that the product is so soft, that it cannot stand up to repeated cleanings, which it absolutely requires. I like to say that it "plumes" off the hull if you just give it a harsh look. I tell my customers that want to use it that they can expect maybe a year of good service from it. In California, it is simply one of the shortest-lived anti fouling paints available.
Old 30-09-2016, 08:53   #43

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I have extensive experience with Pettit Vivid in the moderate fouling of San Francisco Bay. I find that while it lasts, its anti fouling properties are quite good. The problem is that the product is so soft, that it cannot stand up to repeated cleanings, which it absolutely requires. I like to say that it "plumes" off the hull if you give it a harsh look. I tell my customers that want to use it that they can expect maybe a year of good service from it. In California, it is simply one of the shortest-lived anti fouling paints available.

Fstbttms,
We always haul every 18 months for reconditioning and inspection. With that in consideration, do you think that 2 coats of Vivid would be sufficient in similar conditions to those you experience on the West Coast? Thanks, Rognvald
Old 30-09-2016, 09:01   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Fstbttms,
We always haul every 18 months for reconditioning and inspection. With that in consideration, do you think that 2 coats of Vivid would be sufficient in similar conditions to those you experience on the West Coast? Thanks, Rognvald
No. I mean, is anything bad going to happen in a year and a half? Of course not. But as a hull cleaner maintaining a Vivid bottom, I guarantee I would not like what I was seeing after that length of time. But YMMV.
Old 30-09-2016, 09:24   #45

Boat: jeanneau 39i

On the French side of St Martin the boat yard on the outgoing channel (right side) used to have a paint and supply dealer that sold Sherwin Paint, His prices were very good
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, Interlux, paint