Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 12:31   #46

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3
Re: Bomar Hatch Lens Replacement

I've replaced one and am replacing the second Lewmar SuperHatch which is very similar. After 34 years they were not leaking, just impossible to see through. This shows a gold color where I used Alumiprep and Alodine to touch up the original anodize that had been scratched during removal of the old butyl and sealant. If left untreated, this is where corrosion could start. You'd never see this if I'd used clear rather than gold alodine.

The original manufacturers used Window-Weld butyl 34 years ago to bed the acrylic and then sealant around the edges. Window-Weld is available from any NAPA or most other car parts stores and as mentioned, it lasted 34 years. I've used it on a lot of airplane windshields and the two tricks are cleanliness and to lightly warm the frame and acrylic to ensure there is adhesion before filling the gap with sealant. As long as the surfaces are clean (and that is the key) I have never had a problem with 795
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 13:00   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend to use 1/4” gray tinted acrylic with beveled edges. After cleaning the frame, use 3M VHB tape all around but stay 1/8” within the lens outline. Also use VHB tape over the bars and notches.

After applying the lens, caulk around the perimeter with Dow Corning 795 or that GE2000 equivalent. Make sure you push the caulking gun instead of pulling it along the bead. This ensures the sealant is pushed under the lens a bit and no air pockets are left.

I have the same cast aluminum Bomar hatches and love them. Added covers to all of them
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:00   #48

Hi! I am Richard Naylor - S.V. Bewildered and a Marine Surveyor

I fitted Bomar hatches on Bewildered in 1995 in Turkey. I have removed and re-painted two out of four in 2017 refitting the original lenses I have the original Lexan lenses which are in good shape and polish up nicely. There is no doubt in my mind that Lexan will out last acrylic. I have side fixed windows in acrylic which I have replaced twice in the same time period. Lens replacement is not a difficult job at all. However covers are still recommended as the reason I have to re paint two frames is because I did not have covers.
Bewildered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 22:21   #49

I just found a good replacement for aluminum hatch. It works well and is less expensive. Check it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Galamarine-De...ef_=ast_sto_dp
VVOcean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bomar, hatch, men