Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 07:07   #16

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Where you located? I am in south Florida,and have all the tools if you want to use
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 07:16   #17

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Re: Bimini Modifcation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil View Post
A conduit Bender from home depot will do the work just fine. You can even buy it bend your tubes a then exchange it for something else you need
Thanks for the suggestion.
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 07:20   #18

Brazil,
Thanks, but I am still in western KY. I hope to head down the Tenn-Tom later this year.
Old 31-05-2012, 07:43   #19

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I probably get a half dozzen "do it yourself" jobs in here each year that someone wants to have fixed..
I dont want to say its an art and not to try it yourself, but there are a few things you dont want to do.. building it in pieces is a "No No" if going offshore or if its supporting pannels, it will tear itself apart..
And if you dont care how it looks, do it yourself,
For our shop,
anything used for offshore work is 1 inch minimum and if its supporting a solar system, its uped to 1&1/4 and is drilled, tapped and bolted together..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	41675  
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 08:49   #20
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I purchased a bendarc and crownarc for my shop use at a cost of $1k. Doing the calculations to get an exact measurement while allowing for crown is not a scratch pad affair. The makers are now offering a computer program for it. One caution about using the homemade jig. The end that is on the jig must be very firmly attached so no movement can occur while your pulling the other end, especially right where it meets the jig, if not kinking will result. This is no small affair when bending .065 x1" stainless which is all I use. Make sure your jig is accurately cut. Small variations will also tend to kink. I get big discounts by buying standard put ups of the stainless which is 10 pieces of 20' stock.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 17:49   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I probably get a half dozzen "do it yourself" jobs in here each year that someone wants to have fixed..
I dont want to say its an art and not to try it yourself, but there are a few things you dont want to do.. building it in pieces is a "No No" if going offshore or if its supporting pannels, it will tear itself apart..
And if you dont care how it looks, do it yourself,
For our shop,
anything used for offshore work is 1 inch minimum and if its supporting a solar system, its uped to 1&1/4 and is drilled, tapped and bolted together..
Randy, I have to agree. Building a Bimini/solar panel support structure requires more than a seat-of-the-paints job. For it to be done right, and look good, the person doing the work needs to know what he is doing. AS MUCH AS I HATE TO ADMIT IT, THIS IS ONE PITA CHALLENGE I AM GOING TO HAVE TO LET THE PROS HANDLE.

I made this decision earlier decision earlier today. After spending the afternoon aboard, and taking a hard look at what would be involved, the more I looked the more I became convinced, the most I could do on my own would end up being a half-ass job, and in the end, costing twice as much. The sharpest tack in the box, I'm not, but I'm not one to pay twice for a job that only needs to be done once.

I appreciate all the suggestions and information provided by those who participated in this thread.
Many Thanks.
D

Tags
bimini