Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 15:35   #1

Boat: Nantucket 33
Best Pex fitting available in Australia?

Hi I will be moving on to replumb our Nantucket 33 soon and have decided to go with pex plumbing.
I have read a lot and I think ideally would go with Wishburn system but thier seems only one company that deals with this and they are a mining company so the price is very high. The local plumbers all use something diferent mostly with brass compression threaded fittings ( the kind you tighten on to the pex)
Otherwise Bunnings our big chain hardware store carries an all plastic Pex sytem. Anyone familur with them?
Most systems here rely on the o ring, is this a problem?
I am keeping my plumbing system simple and all the runs are quite short so I don't really want to invest several hundred dollars in a special tool. But I do want the system to be compleately reliable and robust.

Hopefully someone familur with this stuff in Australia will know.

Cheers
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 20:03   #2

Boat: Farr 1020
Re: Best Pex fitting available in Australia?

Plastic compression fittings using "O" ring sealing work fine on the boat. Avoid crimp fittings and keep it as simple as possible. Most of the domestic plumbing available at the local DIY type stores work well.

Good luck

Acushla
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 20:42   #3

Boat: TBA

i have used most of the systems in boats and other mobile plant and have concluded that the simple systems work best one of these is "sharkbite"a system of a nylon type pipe and Brass push together fittings of all types.

this system has the pipe marked so that the exact length required is easy to determine the only tool required is a conduit cutter to give a clean square cut and all fittings simply just push on and to remove use a pipe clip over the pipe while applying pressure to the fitting simply pull the pipe out. they are by far the easiest fitting to install and remove in a confined space provided you can get your hand to the pipe and fitting.

pipes come in green and brown for easy colour identification of service types IE hot and cold water ,or salt water . also a "hard drawn and roll type of pipe in 1/2 inch 12-15mm and 3/4 inch 20mm

this system is sold at most plumbing supply shops in Australia and if you ask i am sure they would show you a fitting and how it works.

i have only used on boats for 5 years and to date never had any problem with any of the system running salt or fresh water. the system allows the fittings to swing around the pipe thus not giving any problem as the pipes may move or vibrate slightly it appears that no stress is in the system.

Hope this helps
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15   #4

I have the Wirsbo Pro Pex on my boat. It is also used in in a Webasto hydronic heating system. I think that you can buy it in Australia. Check the internet to to find contractors or suppliers in your area.

It uses an expander tool instead of crimping. Rework and repairs are relatively easy, and much less prone to errors than the crimp connection methods.

I have experienced no problems with it in 14 years.

Installation instructions are here: https://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/F...spx?sc_lang=en
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia