Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2014, 12:23   #46

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Best Antifouling Paint

Wow. The full contact bottom paint thread.
Old 21-02-2014, 12:40   #47

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

We sure do like this discussion....

... Someone asks (often innocently) what works, someone answers... Islands 44 by Seahawk (with a very small quantity of the dreaded TBT) is often cited since it is indeed what many of us out actually cruising in actual boats in actual tropical waters find to work.

Petty much how a discussion forum works right? Question asked, question answered. I made the error of answering this ones or twice, and some folks don't like the answer. Even Fstbottoms agreed in another thread that paint with TBT is the most effective. It is also likely that many (or at least some) of the boats he cleans have been painted in Mexico with good old Seahawk with TBT.

In a perfect world, the energy would all be solar. The sewage would all be composted (I am doing my part on both counts) and our boat bottoms would be painted with something wonderful like butterfly farts that would simply last and last and keep those little sea creatures happy as they passed by our hulls with smiles on their little barnacle faces....

Until such a time as someone comes up with something that works... I mean really works... I submit that the "evil" of effective bottom paints probably is outweighed by two factors.

First, the paint lasts... So the costly and labor intensive process of scrubbing paint off into the water colum is not as necessary.

Second, when the boat is operated it is often under power for at least short periods of time... We know that the more fossil fuels we burn the less we experience such cold winters...

So, button line... Seahawk islands w TBT is likely the best answer for the OP.... Unless someone has a source for butterfly farts that can be applied.
Old 21-02-2014, 13:08   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

As absolutely nobody is going to have a supply of butterfly farts, and if they do they can open a new thread in classifieds and get killed in the rush, then it seems that this thread has run it's course and it is going to be closed now. Constant, ''he says,'' ''she says,'' and a few personal comments do not make it a productive thread.

Coops.

Tags
paint