Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 06:02   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Backing plates

I'm intending to extend my bimini and make up the structure myself from parts avaliable online. However I can't find any supplier or manufacturer who sells both the deck hardware (anchoring elements) and the matching backing plates.

So can anyone recommend a supplier of backing plates? Or will it be more work for my local stainless guy.....
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 06:14   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Backing plates

You can buy backing plates?!?!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 06:56   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I'm intending to extend my bimini and make up the structure myself from parts avaliable online. However I can't find any supplier or manufacturer who sells both the deck hardware (anchoring elements) and the matching backing plates.

So can anyone recommend a supplier of backing plates? Or will it be more work for my local stainless guy.....
Are the backing plates going to be in an exposed area that can be seen from the inside, and therefore need to be pretty? If not, some aluminum plate (6061 or 6063) works well as backing plates. It is easy to cut and drill into the shape you need.

Bimini frames typically don't put too much force on the fittings, but for something like a cleat, make sure you level out the underdeck surface to evenly distribute the force.

Matt
Old 25-04-2018, 07:11   #4

Boat: S2 9.1

Aluminum will corrode and not look pretty down the road. Stainless is better but harder to work with.
Your best bet might be G10 plastic plate, it can be found at Jamestown Distributors cut to backing plate sizes or in sheets. Easy to cut and drill but very strong.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=8758

Good Luck
Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 07:18   #5

I would use half inch starboard for something like a bimini frame if you really have to have a backing plate.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 07:41   #6

Quote:

Some manufacturers sell stainless steel backing plates drilled for their hardware. These are nice cosmetically if in a visible place, like the salon ceiling.

For other places G10 is ideal. You can cut and drill it yourself (with a dust mask and goggles). As already said, you can buy it cut into handy sizes.

I have made stainless steel backing plates. It can be done but it's a rigmarole, cutting it, drilling it, polishing it. Several hours work per plate.

G10 is a better choice in every way except cosmetics.

For critical applications I have bonded the G10 plates to the substrate with thickened epoxy.
Old 25-04-2018, 07:51   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have made wood backing plates and i have had stainless ones made.
is not difficult to see what you need and what can be made to work.
enjoy your boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 07:51   #8

Unfortunately they are going to be visible. So stainless would have to be used.

But the question now is, could I through bolt and use over size washers? Would this give enough support? Although will look a little weird with four hole deck mounts, but very simple and quick
Old 25-04-2018, 07:53   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in san diego there is a wonderful machinist immediately across from downwind marine, he is awesome. use him. he is reasonable. does excellent work. takes the difficulty out of the issue.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:32   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

For most hardware, fender washers are all you'd need for a backing plate. If you want a more substantial backing plate, aluminum or FRP are the easiest materials to work with. Paint aluminum with Zinc Chromate primer and it normally won't corrode.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:05   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Unfortunately they are going to be visible. So stainless would have to be used.

But the question now is, could I through bolt and use over size washers? Would this give enough support? Although will look a little weird with four hole deck mounts, but very simple and quick
It depends on what it's mounted on and how thick that laminate is and how well it's supported. I've seen plenty of boats where there are a mess of gelcoat cracks radiating from bimini bases.

Your best backing plate is one where it's the same size as the fitting with multiple holes drilled in it, which distributes stress more evenly than with individual fender washers. This is particularly true if you're fastening through uncared laminate.

Good practice is to calk it to the laminate in place and then drill through both the laminate and the plate at the same time which ensures that everything lines up correctly but it's not necessary if you're confident you get get nice straight holes. If you're going with stainless that obviously won't be possible.

If finish quality is important, consider cutting off the bolts ends when the fasters are installed and putting cap nuts on.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
in san diego there is a wonderful machinist immediately across from downwind marine, he is awesome. use him. he is reasonable. does excellent work. takes the difficulty out of the issue.
Brian Thomas, yep he's awesome!

Tags
backing plates