Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2024, 15:18   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Awlwood Fail

I have had a puzzling awlwood problem and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Background:

1. This is my third awlwood project-previous jobs were done indoors for clients and came out beautifully. This job was done outdoors. Attention was paid to weather and humidity

2. This is a caprail that was covered with peeling varnish-it was stripped with heat and sanded to 120 grit

3. Awlwood Primer was applied then four coats of Awlwood-(sanded between coats if recoating window was exceeded).

4. Finish looked excellent for remainder of the summer-boat was not launched and recovered with a full canvas enclosure

5. In winter moisture appears to have become entrapped between the finish and the primer. Finish coat still intact, but the moisture stain will move when pressed with my thumbnail. It seems as though the primer is intact as well.

Im calling the awlwood rep but I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2720.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	288402  
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 15:58   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Awlwood Fail

i have seen the awlwood turn a pinkish color .. similar to this but the finish coat was still glossy and intact.

Tags
wood