Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 11:40   #31

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Re: Anyone have a boomkin and any advice on building one.

I thought the same thing in the drawing. It's all stock original from 1977 so I think it's time..I seem to be in uncharted territory as far as advice from other owners. So I thank you all for the input
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:08   #32

P.s I've been asked why up he wire sizes I had mentioned the 150% genoa. And I forgot to mention I'll be using 316 wire as opposed to the 304 which I think is slightly less breaking strength
Old 19-03-2017, 15:15   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I think that you are overestimating the effect of the 150 genoa on the rig loads. You won't be using the big gennie in strong winds, after all... it's a sail for lighter winds. The boat's stability will determine how big a sail you will use in any given wind strength, and I suspect that as the rail begins to go under, you will be reducing sail, and thus limiting static rig loading. Inertial loading from pounding will likely be the biggest stress put on things anyway, and that is not greatly influenced by sail area.

So, IMO attributing the stress cracking in the chainplate areas to the bigger genoa is bad logic and may lead you astray.

Jim
Old 19-03-2017, 20:24   #34

7000 lbs for a 24 foot boat puts you in the very heavy displacement range, but I would not worry too much about that if the sail area is adequate . I could not find specs on the boat, but if I were you, I would be more interested in as large a light air sail as you can fit on the boat, rather than a solent stay that will very rarely get used. On a boat that size, heavy air sails are so small that they are not hard to handle. As far as your chainplates go, you may have no problem or a major one. Gel coat that is applied too thick and just a little flexing can cause spider cracking. Are you actually seeing flexing in the deck and under what sailing conditions? You seem too willing to reinvent the wheel, which is often the result of the perfectly normal anxiety when thinking of your first ocean passage. Relax and sail the boat before throwing huge (relatively huge) sums of money at it. Grant
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:46   #35

As for the light air sail...how would I go about this? Add a sprit say 2fot or so with its own stay for hank on? I have a masthead sloop with a roller furling headsail. As for "light air sail" do you mean a a lighter sail cloth? I've been kicking around ideas of how I can get more sail options but can't seem to figure out a way. I had mentioned the boat came with a self tacking jib and I have 2 sails for that and a light air sail for it as well. I threw out the idea of adding a sprit bumping my roller out on it ,and possibly adding the self tacker back on ,the general consensus that was its really not worth it. I'm not sure with the masthead sloop how I could do much. A spinnaker would be nice as well. yes I agree with you, she is miserable in light air.
Old 20-03-2017, 21:38   #36

I will back up on the not bothering with a solent stay. I didnt realize that you have roller furling on your headstay which makes working your way down from a large light air sail to a storm jib, a lot of work, and can be dangerous to keep control of luff groove head sails , roller or not. I assume that by self tacking you mean a club jib? That makes the roller harder to deal with and difficult to make use of a solent stay. A roller and self tender is nice and easy on a coastal cruiser where if the wind kicks up enough to need to roll the jib, you will probably motor sail back to port. If you really intend to do passages in your boat you will find that once you roll a jib up for rising wind, it becomes more and more difficult/dangerous to have to roll it out and hoist something smaller and the club (an ankle breaker) on the foredeck will make dealing with a solent stay much more difficult. I can only tell you what worked for me on a similar size boat on a 2 year cruise of 8 or 9 thousand miles. I left San Francisco with 5 headsails. A drifter that I made myself, a 150, a 125 , a roller (on its own luff wire) 110 and a storm jib. I used the roller 110 a lot on the California coast but started using the 150 and then the drifter a lot once I was south of San Diego. The 1.5 oz.drifter would just keep me moving enough for steerage in almost no wind. I didnt have an engine (or prop drag) and loved the drifter. 6 or 8 hundred miles out on the Mexico to the Marquesas passage, running wing and wing in the trades I looked up and the upper swivel of the roller unit had sawed thru most of the headstay. Broken wires were sticking out from the stay. I had a spare length of wire and a nico press tool and made up a stay and replaced the headstay. I never used the roller sail again. I did use the drifter in the light air areas, but I made the Marquesas without having real doldrums. I could go on, but in the end, the sails I valued the most were the drifter and the storm jib. The two extremes of wind force. If my sails had been on a foil, changing jibs would have been much more difficult and changing down as the wind came up would have been more dangerous. Roller furling has its place, but on a small boat without some easy way to hoist a storm jib, it becomes a liability. Every sailor has different techniques and some might think mine are wrong, but it worked out very well on a similar size boat to yours. Short of a boat that was designed from the beginning to be a true cutter, I would not recommend roller furling/reefing for a small passage maker. I would definitely not recommend changing your rig to something else. Just get a good selection of sails when you are ready to go long distances. In the mean time sail the hell out of it and learn. Sorry for being so long winded _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 02:43   #37

Good to know. I've only sailed with my roller headsail. otherwise I would just have a head stay, with a halyard at the mast head, and the sails hanks would attach to the headstay and I'd hoist them that way? I wonder if the headsails I have that used the self tending jib boom will work with out the boom..