Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 09:52   #1

How to remove vinyl lettering shadow?

So I decided to rename my boat, it had vinyl lettering on the fiberglass hull, no paint. I was able to just peel each letter off very easily without use of a heatgun and there was no sticky residue left over at all, but even though all the black is off, all the letters are still there, but the shadow is like a tan/yellow tint and still very visible. Ive been told and read online several different things; some say to leave it and put the new lettering on and eventually the sun will take care of it. Others say to buff it out first, or wetsand it.

I noticed the hull is slightly oxidized, meaning when i touch it I get white dust on my fingers. So maybe i need to wax it anyway? but i've also read that you shouldn't do that before putting lettering on. So any advice?
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 10:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: How to remove vinyl lettering shadow?

Buff it out with rubbing compound. Or purchase ghost off which works in most situations. Vinyl is what I do for a living so have a lot of experience
i3.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 14:46   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

I had to wet sand mine.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:37   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3.friend View Post
Buff it out with rubbing compound. Or purchase ghost off which works in most situations. Vinyl is what I do for a living so have a lot of experience
If "Ghost Off" works as shown in the video, it looks like an excellent product. Thanks for the excellent tip. Good luck and safe sailing. Rognvald
Old 18-03-2017, 15:46   #5

I bought a new to me 1996 Catalina 28 three years ago, and after having a virgin urinate in the bilge, I removed the old, vinyl lettering.

My topsides were in very good condition with little or no oxidation. Still, you could see the "ghost" of the old letters. I went ahead and did a full compounding of the topsides, followed by polish. Applied new letters, then waxed. My topsides started out in good enough condition that wet sanding first wasn't necessary.

With the condition you describe, you have a couple alternatives. One is to put the new letters where the old ones were and call it good enough. Pick a font and style that does the best job of covering the ghost lines.

The other is to go whole hog like I did. If you're not familiar with the process, I highly recommend MaineSail's tips for compounding. I don't know offhand if he has his info posted on this site, but it's available on Sailnet.com. In your case, with chalkiness, you'd likely start by wet sanding with around 800 grit, then 1000, then 1200, or so, and then compounding followed by polishing, and wax.

And, if you have any vinyl striping, it's a good time to remove and replace those, too.

Simply waxing your oxidized/chalky topsides is going to have little positive effect.

I'm not aware of anything in between just applying new lettering and going whole hog. If you wet sand and/or compound just the general area where the letters go, it's going to look bad.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:29   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII Pullman

Mothers final cut, worked for me.
98blackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:31   #7

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

You're going to want to completely remove the ghost lines of the previous name...... but that's the easy part. My partner in crime,Lady Pirate, and I were looking at purchasing a 1984 Catalina 25. Now being a boat from the 80's, not only was the decor outdated and in need of change, so was the name. Her name is Xanadu...... yes Olivia Newton John Xanadu. Well we knew it was bad luck to change the name of a boat but had heard of ways to do so...... after a few searches on the google machine, we came up with the following.....

Ceremony for Renaming Your Boat

By Capt. Pat

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines I’d ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife.
Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.

According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory.
This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly.

I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined.

Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards.

Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed!

Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease.Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Good Luck and may the force be with you.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:35   #8

Compound it and you may get rid of most of it. The gel fades from the sun and exposure. If you letter over it you likely wont notice it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:42   #9

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I've noticed our boat's tax bill has the boat's original name on it, short of burning down the Hall of Records, how do I not anger Poseidon?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:58   #10

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bucknut View Post
You're going to want to completely remove the ghost lines of the previous name...... but that's the easy part. My partner in crime,Lady Pirate, and I were looking at purchasing a 1984 Catalina 25. Now being a boat from the 80's, not only was the decor outdated and in need of change, so was the name. Her name is Xanadu...... yes Olivia Newton John Xanadu. Well we knew it was bad luck to change the name of a boat but had heard of ways to do so...... after a few searches on the google machine, we came up with the following.....

Ceremony for Renaming Your Boat

By Capt. Pat

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines I’d ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife.
Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.

According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory.
This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly.

I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined.

Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards.

Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed!

Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease.Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Good Luck and may the force be with you.
Oh wow...you may not want to come aboard my boat when I finally get it as it's unlikely to be called Boaty Mcboatface already and im WAY too lazy to even read all those steps nevermind actually do them hahaha
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:04   #11

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Oh wow...you may not want to come aboard my boat when I finally get it as it's unlikely to be called Boaty Mcboatface already and im WAY too lazy to even read all those steps nevermind actually do them hahaha
YeeGads! Boaty McBoatface might then well sink below the surface!
Old 19-03-2017, 11:56   #12

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I moved the name and I used Oxalic acid. It gids rid of all stains and marks, brilliant stuff. Bought it on eBay, water it down and mix with wallpaper paste. then rinse off and car wax the surface. Its acid so be careful, better then sanding down the gelcoat. email me if you wnt to know more fiona@cmx.co.uk
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 14:20   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

If the whole boat is chalky, you need to address that. Leave it that way and it will absorb water and stains and ultimately you'll get cracks in the gelcoat.

Best solution is to wet sand the whole thing, then compound, then polish, then wax. It's only the wax you should not put on before the lettering. Polish and compound are just abrasives and don't leave a coating.

Get it shiny, then wax it, and keep it waxed. You'll probably want to compound it again on a regular basis.

In short, the better a job you do now restoring the shine, the longer it will last and the easier the maintenance will be.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 14:30   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

As to the surface of the chalky gelcoat, before you get into wet sanding and all that, try some PolyGlo or TSRW first, according to the directions. The PolyGlo is what we used to use on our 36 footer. It consists of easily applied acid wash, which gets rinsed off, and a polymerizing liquid, which fills in all the porosities iin old gel coat, leaving a smooth, somewhat shiny surface that will last for about 1 yr. It is easy to do when the boat is hauled out.

After you have done that, replace the name vinyl.

Or, if it's a short term deal for you, just use the "ghost off", and then when you do your annual haulout or re-launching, do the Poly Glo or TSRW (for This Stuff Really Works).

Ann
Old 19-03-2017, 17:34   #15

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

the area of paint under your old stick on letters is unweathered and possibly the original colour / if you rejuvenate the paint work around the ghosting you will have a large patch the same colour / you will probably end up polishing the entire upper hull
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote