Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 06:47   #91

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Anti foul, bottom paint, soft, medium or hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I'm using a new non-copper paint by Sherwin-Williams called SeaVoyage. --- It's a zinc-based paint with an additive derived from marigold flowers (echinacea), double the strength of a similar product made by International. ---
I rather think the echinacea reference started here (post #75).
Old 22-06-2013, 08:23   #92

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Yup! I got the name from the paint rep who also called it zinc pyrione, and a couple other things. I also heard from him that it was a patented agent being sold as an additive to the other paint companies for a license fee. I suspect they all had a grain of truth, meaning a synthetic derivative of a natural product that has been found to have some interesting qualities. Time will tell. In the meantime, I believe the active discussion is antifouling agents and the consequences of their use in a marine environment. So, while some folks need to flex their egos, some of us here are actually looking for products we can use in clean conscience. How about using some of your energies in productive discussion and less in cutting each other down?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 08:29   #93
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Yup! I got the name from the paint rep who also called it zinc pyrione, and a couple other things.
The product you are testing is a "dual biocide" paint. Econea is (supposedly) effective against hard growth while the zinc Pyrion is added to combat slime. But they are two separate ingredients, not different names for the same thing.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 08:49   #94

Thanks, fstbttms. I was just checking some of the names the rep gave me: pyrithione, pyrethrum, echinacea, etc. Curious how they share certain qualities as insecticides, antifungals, antibiotics and anti foulants. Econea is the stuff that evidently is the active agent, and it's patented by a third party who sells it to the paint manufacturers. The Sherwin Williams SeaVoyage has the highest concentration of this agent. The guy who owns the patent isn't sharing the derivation, so maybe there is some coincidence in all of these other agents. This will be interesting seeing how it all turns out. Thanks for your diligence in following up.
Old 22-06-2013, 09:21   #95
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just as an aside- I have had probably as much experience cleaning zinc-based paints as anyone here in the Bay Area. Both off-the shelf and experimental products. None of the paints I've been involved with have performed well. One possible reason is that zinc-based paints are photo-reactive. That means the more sunlight that the paints are exposed to, the better they work. While the Bay has become much less turbid in the last ten years or so (due to reduced silt transport through the Delta), it is a long way from from tropical clarity. So it may be that reduced light penetration here has hampered the performance of these products. Testing continues.
Old 08-07-2013, 13:07   #96

I just read an article today you guys might be interested in. It seems a biologist has discovered that hulls covered with paints infused with Ivermectin (animal wormer) will inhibit barnacle growth for up to two years. This should be a major game changer.

Apparently, as soon as new barnacles ingest the stuff, they die and fall off, never having the opportunity to anchor to the surface. Just do a search for ivermectin barnacle study.
saculmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 13:11   #97
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saculmot View Post
This should be a major game changer.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 04-10-2014, 16:52   #98

Boat: porta bote

Quote:
I'm using a new non-copper paint by Sherwin-Williams called SeaVoyage. It's a zinc-based paint with an additive derived from marigold flowers (echinacea), double the strength of a similar product made by International. Beside the Maritime Museum in San Diego, I'm the only civilian user so far (ProLine Paint asked me to try it out, as they produce it for Sherwin-Williams). They claim it to have the same qualities as a 70% copper bottom paint, which ProLine is famous for. I'll be detailing its performance in coming months.
Ahoi Roy M,
did you have time to evaluate your new bottom paint?
I would be very interested in your opinion.

Thanks a lot
Fair winds
Martin
CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 21:46   #99

So far, a year or so later, it as performed acceptably, though not as well as if I had used high-copper Trinidad. It has its worst stages at the waterline, especially at the rudder, where it has largely abraded away. The diver still gives it a "good" rating in that only slime and green algae appear over the major portion of the hulls (trimaran). I think it has had a good showing for a non-copper paint, which was the reason I participated in the test. San Diego is under the gun to reduce copper levels in our waters. Next May, I will be hauling out for a new bottom job, prior to going cruising in tropical waters (Hawaii), so I will be switching to the tried and true antifouling which will last me through my next cruise. Trinidad seems to be the best option for these plans. Still, I have a warm and fuzzy feeling for trying to do the right thing.
Old 04-10-2014, 22:20   #100

Boat: porta bote

Thanks a lot for the fast answer Roy M,
if I remember correctly you put only one layer on...so this doesn't sound to bad.
And yeah, a bit of "green" feels good

Fair winds
Martin
CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 21:52   #101

Sorry for this incredibly dumb question:

If one were to clean daily with carpet in Caribbean waters, would an antifouling be necessary?

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 01:01   #102
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestle View Post
If one were to clean daily with carpet in Caribbean waters, would an antifouling be necessary?
If there's no paint to worry about, why limit yourself to carpet?
Old 15-10-2014, 01:38   #103

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I started reading this thread because I need to anti foul in the next two weeks. I had no idea what tbt paint was so I had to google it. Now I've read up on it, frankly I do not understand how anyone on this forum, who enjoys nature can justify using the horrible stuff?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 01:42   #104
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I started reading this thread because I need to anti foul in the next two weeks. I had no idea what tbt paint was so I had to google it. Now I've read up on it, frankly I do not understand how anyone on this forum, who enjoys nature can justify using the horrible stuff?
They can't. Using it is a purely selfish act.
Old 25-11-2014, 00:39   #105

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Has anyone used Sigma Marine paints and antifoul? Also known as ppg paints.

Apparently been a round for decades and their paints are normally used on large tankers etc.

Much cheaper than buying some of the common recreational antifoul such as 'international', and they come in 5 late or 15ltr tins, so much bigger saving.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote