Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2022, 15:01   #1
NTW

Alberg 34 Plug. What does this mean?

Hi there,

I'm interested in an Alberg 34 for sale in Australia. The owner says it was the plug, used to form the later boats off. Apparently this hull is covered in bog to smooth it off.

What does this mean? Especially re. strength and integrity of the hull, upkeep, stability values etc. Presumably it is slightly smaller than the later boats?

Any information regarding this building method and the sailing, seakeeping qualities of plugs would be much apreciated.

Thanks very much for any info.
NTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 15:14   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Alberg 34 Plug. What does this mean?

NTW if it's the one advertised on yacht hub then I would say she's well proven strength wise. Who knows what filler was used. Surely by now any issues would be apparent. I would say they knew that the plug was going to be turned into a yacht. We did that with a Muir 9.2, instead of throwing the plug away the boss recouped some of his money.
Normally plugs are just binned and built using the cheapest materials. I built one for Haines Hunter and it was all car bog and MDF.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 15:57   #3
NTW

Fore and Aft.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the one advertised on yachthub. The hull is apparently made of fibre glass which is what had me confused. Why make a fibreglass hull as a mold for a fibre glass hull? How could you even make a plug out of fibre glass without first building something to mould it off?

The owner says the boat has cruised extensively and he has taken on some serious weather. I am looking to do the same thing myself and being an amateur sailor will be putting a lot of faith in my boat to see me through tough times. I guess something confusing like this makes me uncomfortable even though it looks like a great boat for a great price.

Thanks again
Old 02-08-2022, 16:38   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Plugs tend to be stronger and heavier than the boats that come later. The plug acts as a male form around which the female mould is created. The plug must be faired very carefully because any imperfections will be transferred to the mould and all the boats made in said mould.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:29   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

NTW I imagine they just stood up the timber frames and then either strip planked the hull or sheathed it with thin plywood. Both methods are fairly quick to do and since that timber plug is being thrown away the plug skin just has to be fair not pretty. Maybe the idea was to recoup some costs or provide a "friend" with a cheap hull once the mold was popped of the hull. I must admit it's heart breaking seeing hundreds of hours of work just crushed and thrown in the skip.
Personally I would think a hull laid over a mold might be better built as it's easier to wet the glass and roll it out. Compared to being inside a mold and laying the glass up.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I've made molds of off "plugs" that were also an actual boat. You have to know in advance that you're going to turn the plug into a boat, and laminate accordingly, and the plug/boat is usually heavier, but is a perfectly fine boat.
Nearly every glistening megayacht you see is a steel hull with a TON of bog over to hide all the weldments and oil canning, and the right sort of fairing compound can last a very long while.
Likewise a lot of custom racers are made on a male plug and the outside it faired with gobs and gobs of bog.
It's nothing to be afraid of.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:35   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Alberg 34 Plug. What does this mean?

Usually plugs are made with different gelcoats ( tooling gelcoates) and or laminate structures.

Be surprised if it would make a good hull often it’s very heavy with extra stress support structures etc.
Old 03-08-2022, 22:55   #8
NTW

Very interesting. Thanks very much for the info guys.
Old 03-02-2024, 16:13   #9

I am the original owner of this Alberg 34 bought in 1984.

Yes she was the plug for the series and was built in fiberglass in the same manner as custom fiberglass yachts. Long fiberglass rods, like fishing rods, are fastened to wooden forms much like cedar planking might be in a wooden hull. Then these rods are covered inside and out with fiberglass cloth and matt all worked into and over the rods. Longitudinal strength is superior.

There is no gelcoat. The hull is painted with several coats of two part epoxy. The thickness of the hull varies according to Alberg's specifications.

Myself and my kids crossed the Atlantic and back in about 1986 then sailed from Vancouver to Gladstone, Australia a few years later where I sold her.

I would love to share stories and photos of her if interested.
dave.riverlink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, plug