Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 11:25   #1

Acrylic or Marcalon Polycarbonate Bridge Windows

I have to replace the windows on my bridge because they are very crazed after 4 years basking in the Florida Sun. You can barely see thru them! I was going to use Acrylic because it is less susceptible to the sun's rays. However, I am told that Acrylic cracks very easily. On the other hand, scratches can be buffed out of Acrylic, while poly-carbonate scratches easily and cannot be buffed. Acrylic is maybe 50% more expensive than poly-carbonate.

The windows are roughly 42" x by 18"-24", will be mounted in fabric, and will fold up (at the fabric) and attach to the roof with snaps in the fabric.

I am worried about the acrylic cracking while folding up the windows, particularly if it catches a gust of wind. Also, I have become accustomed to opening a corner of the window to let in a breeze and to communicate with my mate on the front deck while anchoring, etc. Possibly opening a corner of acrylic could cause it to crack.

So which should I use?
gbohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:26   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Acrylic or Marcalon Polycarbonate Bridge Windows

You are right about the acrylic cracking. I have had success with the polycarbonite and using a window tint film over it to protect it from UV damage and crazing. The tint can be replaced if it gets in bad shape and the windows look like new again. it is not recommended for horizontal hatch lens but works well on vertical windows. You have to use tint for plastic not the regular glass tint film. The only place I could find it is windowtint.com and you have to buy a whole roll but it is not that expensive and you will have left over to replace as needed. Good luck.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, arc, cal, wind