Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 10:02   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: AC temperature sensor - how far is too far?

I had the temp sensor for both units in two different air intake grills - one with a muffin fan blowing on it (as you suggested) but was not happy with the result of either. I also have two seperate in-line coil heaters which use the same ducting and return grills as the AC.

The thermostats for these units are each hull. They have worked well where they are located and that is where I located the AC sensors. So I had some reason to believe they would good for the heat side the AC system at least.

I hoping there is some software service adjustments that can be made to these units. I know Webasto "Blue Cool" units are very adjustable but don't know how dumbed down these units are to achieve the price they were shooting for.

BTW - I am trying to use the Webastos for heat because I think they should more efficient than in-line coil units. I am tracking the KW that I am using on daily basis so I should know more in a couple of weeks if I can get the Webastos to work ok. It is not obvious yet.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 10:48   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

They will I'm sure be more efficient that resistive heating, unless the water is very cold.
The thermostats, are not thermostats, just a remote panel, it doesn't matter where they are mounted. If you hear of a way to adjust the dead band so to speak, let us know, I'm interested.
For the money they are I think a very good unit, exhaust hose duct is small I think for a 16K unit, other than that I find no faults so far.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:32   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Webasto has told me there are no adjustments possible through the control panel. Essentially the temperature sensor data is used by the circuit board in conjunction with other factors such as the minimum run time to determine how often and when the unit should cycle. The circuit board has an algorithm for making this decision. The sensor does not trigger any relays directly.

They suggested swapping out the temperature sensor to begin trouble shooting it. Based on infra red temperature readings where the sensor is, my hunch in that the sensor is ok but the circuit board in faulty.

BTW - a64pilot - where did you get the hard start kit?
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 13:20   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
AC temperature sensor - how far is too far?

Doesn't get much cheaper than this, two wires, one to each terminal of the run capacitor, it's in the white box
Really did seem to cut the inrush current in half
http://www.amazon.com/Supco-Relay-St...rds=Supco+spp6

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote