Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 15:52   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
4" or 6" high density poly foam for coushions

Getting the coushion project together. I think I've decided on high density (2.8 lbft2) poly foam ( firm) from salrite. I've got plenty of room for 6" thickness. I've been told that y there's not much of a difference between 4 and 6 as far as comfort goes , and that you won't even know the difference between the 2.So what's every one using? My coushions are for the saloon theyll be used allot ( live aboard) during the day they are seats and converted to sleep on at night... Any one have any input .
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:08   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: 4" or 6" high density poly foam for coushions

I am close to green lighting a similar project: cushions for the salon that will be occasionally used as a bunk.

I am selecting a firm 4" foam similar to what you have selected. My thinking is that 6" is to thick for comfort while sitting. Firm foam is my preference to softer for sitting. If we find this insufficient for sleeping we may later add a 2" topper for the occasions when used as a bunk for more than a night or two.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:08   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

6" would be great. I have 4" and wish the 6" would fit without issues.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 18:53   #4

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

Yes I can fit the 6 no problem. As stated above they're gonna be used both ways but more so as a seat then as a bed. And was also wondering if the 6 will be an issue.. As with everything boat related so much to learn even when it comes to coushions lbf density etc..... Not nothing as good as real people's experiences. Still send not an overwhelming on the 6 or on the 4 hmmmmmm.
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 19:11   #5

Boat: J/42

4 inches is plenty. It also takes up a dramatic amount of volume in my boat - which appears to have been designed for 3" or 2" foam. That extra 2 inches makes a big difference in the usability of the low-side of the quarter berth. Also, if you wrap the foam in batting (recommended), that adds even more thickness.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 19:20   #6

One of the issues you may wish to consider is how the height of the cushions affects the distance between your knees and your feet when sitting. It will make a huge difference in your comfort. If you are short, then your legs could be hanging off the seats; if you are tall, then you may be still be comfortable sitting on 6" foam.

Personally, when I reupholstered our main saloon 11 years ago, I used 5" foam (3 inches of D-45 'firm' bonded to 2 inches of D-36 'medium') topped with 1" Dacron batting (which squishes down and really only contributes about 1/4" to the overall thickness). We are both tall (5'11" and 6'3") and this thickness suits us well.

Cheers, Katherine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	166452  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 20:44   #7

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I am close to green lighting a similar project: cushions for the salon that will be occasionally used as a bunk.

I am selecting a firm 4" foam similar to what you have selected. My thinking is that 6" is to thick for comfort while sitting. Firm foam is my preference to softer for sitting. If we find this insufficient for sleeping we may later add a 2" topper for the occasions when used as a bunk for more than a night or two.
I think this makes a lot of sense - the topper would help conceal the gaps in the cushions and make a more uniform surface for sleeping on.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 22:12   #8

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Well, we replaced cushions with new material a few years ago. I found a world of difference between 4” foam and 6” foam - particularly if you intend to use the cushions for sleeping. We wasted a lot of money, time and fabric by going with 4” foam. First choice was way to dense and uncomfortable. Second choice was better, but still hard to sleep on. Then we sold the boat. If I were to do it over, I would go with 6” foam, at a moderate density.

Btw, don’t forget foam comes in several densities. Be very sure you select the best density for your use. The most dense foam works great for a restaurant chair, but is agonizing to sleep on for an 8 hr period.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 22:19   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think Painted Skies' comments very valid. I am only short (5'2"~) and Jim is 5'10". For us dense 4" foam is fine for the settees, and we occasionally sleep on them at sea. However, for our double berth, we have 4" also, but it is atop a 1/4" slab of closed cell foam (stops sweating underneath), and on top of that, there is a 2" medium topper.

Hope this helps. What you need to be comfortable will vary with your shapes and weight. One man we knew, designed a chair for his wife, fitted perfectly to keep her comfortable, just fwd of the nav station. What a thoughtful guy! They completed their circumnavigation a few years back. I miss them. (Their double was aft in the port quarter.)

Ann
Old 16-03-2018, 02:55   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P..ainted Skies View Post
One of the issues you may wish to consider is how the height of the cushions affects the distance between your knees and your feet when sitting. It will make a huge difference in your comfort. If you are short, then your legs could be hanging off the seats; if you are tall, then you may be still be comfortable sitting on 6" foam.
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 03:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastward ho 24 View Post
Getting the coushion project together. I think I've decided on high density (2.8 lbft2) poly foam ( firm) from salrite. I've got plenty of room for 6" thickness. I've been told that y there's not much of a difference between 4 and 6 as far as comfort goes , and that you won't even know the difference between the 2.So what's every one using? My coushions are for the saloon theyll be used allot ( live aboard) during the day they are seats and converted to sleep on at night... Any one have any input .

Go for the 6in if it fits. If you are a bit heavy 6 is best
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 03:27   #12

I would lean toward the firmer side for high use like a liveaboard.

Not sure of the specific density but we redid our gemini about 10yrs ago and they wanted us to use the standard (not sure what the spec was) and you nearly bottomed out sitting on it. Given a couple years use, we would have been bottoming out like the existing cushions did. We went with a denser option and it was great. We didn't sleep on it but often lay down to watch TV in the evening.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 08:09   #13

4 inch for seats, 6 inch for beds.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 09:36   #14

Boat: Pearson

you will notice a difference between 2” and 6”.The thicker the cushion the more dense it will be. I recushioned our boat with 4” and was seeking a very dense mattress and am pleased with the results. I would only use 2” for backrests.
Old 16-03-2018, 09:59   #15

Replaced cushions with thick foam on one boat. Discovered that it was uncomfortable as heck... because your feet no longer touched the floor. So just keep that in mind.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote