Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 10:09   #16

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: 4" or 6" high density poly foam for coushions

You may want to check with these guys -
Military Supply House for military surplus, Army uniforms, ACU , ABU , ABDU , BDU , MCPS , Multicam , survival gear, hunting equipment, military retail , military wholesale sales, CCR , Central Contractors Registration

They will custom make cushions/mattresses. I'm not sure they can make odd shapes. It may be only straight sided stuff. Fortunately for me this works as my settee cushions are rectangles. If you are sleeping where you sit - as I do - you may want to get the very best you can. They encourage you to call and talk with them to discuss your needs.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 13:37   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

A boat is designed for a height of settee, such that the total height including cushion is "right". As others have said, simply making a cushion thicker can make the settee uncomfortable for sitting. Of course if the owner(s) are tall it can benefit by an extra inch - two is a lot of difference.

When I built Carina I designed her for 5" cushions, so the plywood platform was 1" lower than it would have been for 4" cushions. In more than a quarter of a century of living aboard I have been through several sets of cushions, and the current ones have worked out the best for both sitting and sleeping. They are 2" of firm "sitting" foam, then 2" of softer "sleeping" foam, and finally 1" of latex foam on top. I don't know the specifications of the foams - sorry.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 14:16   #18

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

Ha ha thanks everyone I think I'll compromise I'll go with the 5"!!
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 17:23   #19

Boat: Byliner 3258

Have a look at laminating (glue) a medium firm 2" thickness with a Selene foam 2" top layer. Some of the problem with foam is heat build up.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 18:47   #20
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

FWIW, Rochford Supply has a sample foam pack that I found helpful when picking foam densities.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:36   #21

Boat: Baba 40

If there’s a foam retailer in your area, take the time to visit. Actually sitting/laying on different densities, the decision will be a lot easier. We redid our interior last fall and my initial ideas were revamped based on 30 minutes of actual testing.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 07:23   #22

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Check out foam mattresses from big box stores. They are available in differnet thicknesses, and are MUCH cheaper than foam from upholstery suppliers. A queen or king size can be cut into several smaller cushions. We used 8" for our sleeping berths - 6" of high density with 2" of memory foam laminated on top. Best nights' sleeping on a boat ever. We used 6" high density on the settees
for our infrequent guests.

This foam cuts and glues with no problem.

Learning to sew watching Sailrite videos was a fun challenge. I found an old straight stitch gear drive Singer 101 that sews heavy fabric. Our local sewing machine guy says it's one of the best machines ever. Cost me $75 + $35 for cleaning and service. Who needs a $600 Sailrite? Fabric from Fabric.com.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 06:58   #23

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

[QUOTE=Eastward ho 24;2597703]Ha ha thanks everyone I think I'll compromise I'll go with the 5"!![/QUOTE

Well done 5".

Our Boat had a bulky/stupid 6" SETTEE+BACKREST. really idiotic!

For aesthetic reasons, l chose 3", perfect for sitting, reasonable for laying down or short rest.

Now, as it is more of a lounge area separate from dining table, and dedicated to laying down as on a sofa, l will go to a soft 4".
So, you can go for 4-5", but no more,and 2" for BACKREST.

Space is important onboard!

I sleep on a 4"+4" set, and I think it must for a liveaboard
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 16:46   #24

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

Just an update; I've ordered the 5" high density poly foam (firm) from sailrite. I can not say enough good things about sailrite their videos and service reps are more then helpful. I've not even compared prices. if they were charging double id gladly pay them the extra.

Any how in my opinion. the 5" foam is perfect for sitting and or laying. I'm 265lb and I can kneel on it with out bottoming out. Sitting I don't sink to far and laying is comfy. My gf is 140 and she agrees. Thanks for all the input.... Now the fun part useing my singer 401a to sew up these coushions.
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote