Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 09:05   #91

Boat: Paceship PY26
Re: Yanmar V-twin diesel conversion of OMC Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Is one end of the U shaped mount made out of flat plate going to be boxed? We had a mount for made like that for a garage door operator and had much trouble until the designers stiffened the structure . I really think you need something in addition to the vertical plates for stiffness .
Actually both ends will be boxed in with 1/8" steel plate. These plates will be removable for servicing the water pump belt. Here's a pic from earlier in the post that shows the plates.

sgancarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 09:38   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
The plan with the dial indicator should tell a lot. Can the ISO-RING be compressed at all? That might offer some adjustment in its rigidity.
Looks like I am getting about 0.050" of movement, which is well within the specs for the Paraflex coupling.

Old 29-05-2016, 19:13   #93

Boat: Irwin sloop

The dial indicator results are very encouraging, and support your idea fully. What a great project. We are eagerly awaiting progress reports.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 21:30   #94

Boat: Clipper Marine 32

Sgancarz:

I'm a new member and am trying to find out more about the OMC folding prop you have placed on your conversion. I have had my OMC Zephyr for over 10 years with no problems. The leg cracked and I'm in the process of replacing it. Of course you can't find them on the shelf but I found one back Canada. The leg is in good shape and I have put 95% new parts in it and I was just wondering how well the OMC folding prop is working on you conversation? How well does it work in reverse? Any information you could give me about it would be great help.
MGrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:47   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MGrout.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGrout View Post
Sgancarz:

I'm a new member and am trying to find out more about the OMC folding prop you have placed on your conversion. I have had my OMC Zephyr for over 10 years with no problems. The leg cracked and I'm in the process of replacing it. Of course you can't find them on the shelf but I found one back Canada. The leg is in good shape and I have put 95% new parts in it and I was just wondering how well the OMC folding prop is working on you conversation? How well does it work in reverse? Any information you could give me about it would be great help.
Unfortunately I am still in the process of the engine conversion, so I have not had a chance to use the new prop yet. I have had comments on another forum from a member who has one and stated it works very well for him. If you are not already a member you might look at joining the saildriveowners group on Yahoo. Lots of information on the OMC saildrive there.
Old 15-06-2016, 21:37   #97

Got the new instrument panel back from the laser engraver. Had them do all of the cutouts for the gauges, lights, and the ignition switch as well as the engraving for the lights. I have installed the guages, lights, and ignition switch, however I still need to make the wiring harness. At least this puts me one step closer. Now I need to figure out if the audible alarm will be loud enough mounted in the lazerette or whether I need to cut slots in the panel for the sound to make it through. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Also need to get the cooling system work done. I am waiting on the soldering materials so that I can finish up the modifications to the fuel tank. Once that is done, I will begin the work on the cooling system and then on to the wiring. After that I should be able to accomplish the final install of the new Diesel Engine.
Old 19-06-2016, 07:31   #98

Finished up the modifications to the fuel tank yesterday. Manufactured the 90 degree fuel filler and the fuel return fitting in the foreground. The original filler connection was where the fuel return is now. It went straight up and used to connect to a fuel filler I put in a few years back. I have decided to move it from the sole of the cockpit to an area between the tank/gear locker and the transom on the port side. This will prevent the sole from becoming an ice skating rink, should someone spill any diesel. Also should help to prevent water from entering the fuel filler.

Old 19-06-2016, 14:32   #99

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I am continuously impressed with the quality of your work. The "positive vibes" just keep increasing.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 15:08   #100

Well looks like I missed a couple recent posts on the Cruiserforum, so guess I'll catch up now.

I have begun the work of planning out the new wiring harness for the engine. So far I have spent many hours working in Visio to complete the circuit design. I have also sourced all of the connectors and relays to be used in the harness.

The area that I had to put the most thought into was the alarm circuit for the over-temp, oil pressure, and the alternator. I ended up designing an alarm module that will be incorporated into the harness. This module contains three DPDT relays that will allow the audible alarm to activate along with the light on the control panel.

The other thing that I did was to set up the oil pressure switch to not only provide an alarm, but will also shut down the fuel pump with a loss of oil pressure. This is an ABYC standard when utilizing an electric fuel pump. Most will just add a second oil pressure switch to shut down the pump, but I do not have room to add a tee where the switch screws into the block, so I reverted back to some 1970's technology.

I remembered back when I owned my Chevy Vega, it incorporated a fuel pump shutdown circuit into the oil pressure switch. So I broke out and old wiring diagram and was able to straight-line the circuit and incorporate it into my design.

Click the image below to open up a pdf version of the new wiring diagram.

Old 11-04-2017, 15:16   #101

Last month I finally got the engine on the boat and sitting high atop it's new mount. Took a couple of hours but it is finally in the boat. In order to get the engine through the lazzarette opening I had to take everything I could off of the top of the engine. Then I had to remove the oil filter, as it was hitting on the way in. Actually went down through the seat opening much easier than I anticipated. Biggest issue was getting it down under the cockpit floor. Very little clearance, but I finally got it shoehorned down in there and up on the mounts. I still need to align the shafts and tighten everything down, but that is for another day.

Here are some pics of my progress.

Hopefully the weather is gonna cooperate and I should be able to get back to the project. However, with spring comes many projects, so if I can keep better control of all of the other distractions I'll be able to find the time.
Old 11-04-2017, 15:33   #102

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Fwiw it looks great!! Imho a huge improvement over the omc engine!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 19:46   #103

Time for another update. Work has been going slow as usual, but was able to get down to the boat this last Sunday to work on getting the shafts all aligned and get the engine locked down on the mount.

This proved to be quite challenging, as there is not a lot of room under the engine. Luckily I had access to a small dial indicator and a spindle mount for a vertical milling machine. The spindle mount fit right on the shaft coupling hub for the lower unit. Still required outside assistance to rotate the prop so I could get her dialed in, as trying to rotate it from the top, I kept bumping the dial indicator. I was able to get the alignment to within .005", so I shouldn't have any problems there.

Also got the water pump">raw water pump mounted and the drive belt all adjusted. Here are some pics of the shaft coupling all hooked up and the raw water pump assembly.

Old 27-04-2017, 07:26   #104

Wow! Very good job! Subscribed.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 04:57   #105

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

Looks excellent!
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, omc, sail, saildrive, yanmar