Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 11:25   #301

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I believe what you hear running is for the refrigeration, wheather it be the main engine or auxilery. In either case it would be under load and not at an idle. We all know how to polish cylinders, right?
Not so sure about that...I worked for some time on Prudhoe bay in the winter...unless the equipment was being serviced, it NEVER got shut down.
My 966 ran 24hrs day for months on end and only stopped for oil/filter changes.
All the diesel trucks up there were the same.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:02   #302

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The artic is a completely different environment, isn't it? How big were the motors (what RPM range did they have)? If you shut down a diesel and it got cold wouldn't it be hard to get started again. With an unlimited budgit who would care how long a stinking motor would last/cost.
BTW how many hours did those motors get on them?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:19   #303

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I agree that this thread has been mostly about support, not only Yanmar but Yanmar certified service. I suspect that Yanmar has no enforced standards for hanging out a Yanmar shingle. I once had a Yanmar certified shop do some work on my engine and the guys didn't even have a torque wrench. They were about to tighten some bolts in my unit that had specific tightening requirements without one. Fortunately I had one in my tool chest and made the guy use it. Yanmar did not seem to think this was their problem. If I was running that company I would require anyone hanging out my shingle have a certain number of minimum tools on hand which includes a torque wrench and compression tester. I would also inspect them from time to time to make sure they met my requirements.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:41   #304

I was a outboard dealer in the 90s All the outboard makers I know of had required schooling You also had to buy tools from them and required yearly updates schooling
promax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:48   #305

Sounds like they were doing what should be done. I assume that they did not require you to buy generic tools such a storque wrenches from them. Did they require you to have certain list of generic tools? It's been my experience that most mechanics are required to provide their own generic tools, but they would be required to have them.
Old 10-02-2010, 14:05   #306

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Most diesel trucks leave their engines running unless they're planning on not moving for at least several hours. Often they leave them running all night as they sleep to keep the cab warm. They reason that more wear occurs upon starting a cold engine than occurs idling for several hours. Large boats (LARGE) usually never turn their engines off. Train engines do not have starters, they start them once and turn them off before they rebuild the engine. They even do oil changes with the engine running. I would never hazard a guess that the failures that this engine has endured were as a result of it idling under load.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 14:18   #307

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I think you mean idling under no load.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 14:26   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Sounds like they were doing what should be done. I assume that they did not require you to buy generic tools such a storque wrenches from them. Did they require you to have certain list of generic tools? It's been my experience that most mechanics are required to provide their own generic tools, but they would be required to have them.
They did have the tech rep come and inspect the shop The tools we were required to purchased where the specialty tools. Gear case tools that kinda of thing
Old 10-02-2010, 14:38   #309
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I will give serious consideration to the 'support' given by yanmar authorized servicers when it's time to repower my old Perkins 4.154. Hopefully that will be a long time to come, but whenever...
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 15:37   #310

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I think you mean idling under no load.
Yep, too cheap to add another 2 letters there.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 15:40   #311

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Most diesel trucks leave their engines running unless they're planning on not moving for at least several hours. Often they leave them running all night as they sleep to keep the cab warm. They reason that more wear occurs upon starting a cold engine than occurs idling for several hours. Large boats (LARGE) usually never turn their engines off. Train engines do not have starters, they start them once and turn them off before they rebuild the engine. They even do oil changes with the engine running. I would never hazard a guess that the failures that this engine has endured were as a result of it idling under load.
What?!?!?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 15:55   #312

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
In defense of Yanmar, all the problems incurred by Tspringer have occurred in the Florida and Georgia market. In this market ALL Yanmar engine have to be sold via a dealer of the main distributor. That distributor is Mastry.

Elsewhere on the East Coast, Yanmar dealers are handled via Mack Boring. This is not just a Yanmar issue.

Unfortunately, this thread seems to have departed from its original course...

Just my 2 cents........

Quote:
I agree that this thread has been mostly about support, not only Yanmar but Yanmar certified service. I suspect that Yanmar has no enforced standards for hanging out a Yanmar shingle. I once had a Yanmar certified shop do some work on my engine and the guys didn't even have a torque wrench. They were about to tighten some bolts in my unit that had specific tightening requirements without one. Fortunately I had one in my tool chest and made the guy use it. Yanmar did not seem to think this was their problem. If I was running that company I would require anyone hanging out my shingle have a certain number of minimum tools on hand which includes a torque wrench and compression tester. I would also inspect them from time to time to make sure they met my requirements.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 16:01   #313

Come on, If one can not get their boat fix in Florida then where??
Old 10-02-2010, 16:52   #314

The problems I had did not occur in Fl or Ga. The mechanic was local and I do not blame Mack Boring for the deficiencies with the local Yanmar mechanic. Mack Boring could not get my normal maintenance parts except from Japan and the same with Torrensen which also covers this area. This is a systemic problem with Yanmar NA, if they can't even keep basic parts in this hemisphere. I think it would be up to Yanmar to set the standards for mechanics hanging out their shingle, not Mack Boring.
Old 10-02-2010, 16:55   #315

Quote:
The problems I had did not occur in Fl or Ga. The mechanic was local and I do not blame Mack Boring for the deficiencies with the local Yanmar mechanic. Mack Boring could not get my normal maintenance parts except from Japan and the same with Torrensen which also covers this area. This is a systemic problem with Yanmar NA, if they can't even keep basic parts in this hemisphere. I think it would be up to Yanmar to set the standards for mechanics hanging out their shingle, not Mack Boring.
Torrenson is a dealer under Mack Boring

Yanmar NA has given the responsibility of dealer development and retention to the distributors.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar