Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 17:03   #16

Re: Yanmar/Kanzaki transmission no longer going into gear - please help

That all makes perfect sense, good decision and thanks for keeping us informed.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:33   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

One other question. Anyone know the difference between the KM2P and KM2P-1?
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:09   #18

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post
Sorry, quick followup. When I was checking the oil level, I must have over-tightened the dip stick because the threads on the plastic dip stick broke off and are now imbedded in the threads of the transmission casing. The dipstick plastic must have been really old, I didn't really twist super hard. Not really sure how to get those out.
According to information I once got on this or another forum the attached oil drain plug is of the correct size for the Kanzaki transmissions of the Yanmar engines.
I have no personal experience with this solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5707B333-481F-45E6-A608-37A4B2B04458.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	246770  
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:41   #19

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Removing broken off plastic threaded inserts can be easily accomplished by heating an old straight blade screwdriver big enough to melt into the broken piece like a posickle stick. Melt it in, cool it off and unthread the broken piece. Much less chance of nasty bits and pieces falling into the gearbox.
Old 01-11-2021, 13:00   #20

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Hey everyone. Just wanted to drop an update for everyone's knowledge. Anchor Marine took the transmission off, it looks like the root cause wasn't running without oil, it was the splines on the output shaft (if I understood right) had worn down from the motor being out of alignment for so long. The prior owner told me it was out of alignment but wow.

Somewhat unrelated, regarding the engine (Yanmar 3GM30F), what's a good tool to use to suck the old oil out of the dipstick? I bought this little hand siphon pump to be able to suck any stay water out of places but not sure if this would be good to suck the oil out of the dipstick.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 14:34   #21

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

ENGINE OIL SUCTION:
The installation I use has a thin stiff tube (similar to the exterior of a bike brake cable) going in the dipstick tube to reach the bottom of the oil pan to get the maximum amount of dirty oil out. But you never get all the oil out
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 15:17   #22

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have used a pump like that to empty the gasoline tank on my runabout at the end of the season into 5 gal jugs which I then burned in my wife's car. I was never able to get a good seal where the hoses enter the pump, and it also leaked at the piston rod seal. It is now buried in the county landfill.

This is what I use to suck the oil out of my Yanmar 3HM35F (the high compression version of your engine).

The brass dip tube is the largest diameter brass tube that the local hardware store had that would fit through the dip stick hole on the engine. It has thin walls which means that it has the largest possible inside diameter for the lowest fluid friction when pumping out the engine oil. It is soldered into a drilled out tubing barb that is itself inserted into a hose which is itself connected to a hand pump.

The hand pump is a Little Pal Brass Hand Pump (https://smile.amazon.com/Industries-...5804189&sr=8-2) which came with its own smaller diameter dip tube. The hose clamps you can see in the picture stop some leaks or tighten joints that when well oiled can expectantly come apart.

When not in use the whole oily mess stays in a plastic Rubbermaid box with my oil filter pliers and a few paper towels that soak up the residual oil. The box has its home on top of the water heater.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, kanzaki, lease, transmission, yanmar