Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 09:03   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Yanmar 4JH4E Fuel Pipes?

Hello,
Having an issue with replacing the high pressure fuel "pipe" to injectors from pump on my 4JH4E.
Q's:
Are there others that will fit from other 4JH series if available?
Has anyone made any to fit?
Can I replace with a flexible line reliably or is this an emergency situation to be replaced with metal eventually?

Yanmar is out of stock and so far can't find any on ebay or savaged sights.
Any help would be great, they rotted from a long time of sea water drip prior to my ownership. So far they don't leak but looks to be in the near future.
Oh the woes of older yacht ownership...thanks in advance. CF is an amazing place!
J-
sailmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 18:34   #2

Re: Yanmar 4JH4E Fuel Pipes?

That’s not an easy question to answer sailmontana, there are 3 different hp fuel pumps over a period of time depending on the precise model and year of production and one 4JH4 with the injectors under the valve cover. I’ve seen the flexible injector pipes advertised but never in actual use and I suspect that they’re a temporary repair. I’ve occasionally used the “off the shelf” straight injector pipes and bent them to fit and they provide a useful fix in an emergency, you don’t necessarily need to bend them to the exact same shape as the original, just getting from the pump to the injector is all that’s required, not a work of art.
The greater risk for you is the little tee pipe return on the injectors, if your injector pipes are corroded it’s highly probable that those delicate tee’s will be too.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 20:38   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440

All very good
That’s why I come here
I’ll give the straight verity a try and pay close attention to return lines as well as keep trying to find the correct “pipes”
Thanks!
J-
sailmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 23:45   #4

Are these tubes/pipes with a swaged end for a compression fitting and collar? If so, it should be possible to get them made up, or at least bend them to suit yourself and then get swaged somewhere.

A small tubing bender will be very useful if you DIY it.

I'm not aware of any flexible line that can safely and permanently handle the pressures between IP and injectors, but rigidly fixed lines a bit of a PITA to make and to fit and remove, if only because the flanged ends must fit squarely over the compression fitting to get a proper seal.

Keep your old lines and trace them out on thin plywood if making new lines yourself, then copy as exactly as possible.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:40   #5

Boat: Endeavour 32

A good hydraulics shop will be of help for DIY pipes. The hard part will be getting the flare correct.

If your pipes are not cracked and leaking now. You could try to treat them with POR15 and repaint them. This should buy you time until Yanmar has some.
The 4JH is marinized from the 4TNE industrial engine if I remember correctly. You might try finding that cross over and look to the AG and Industrial markets for parts.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

When in Delaware we had a Parker dealer that could make fittings for me. They did a lot of industrial work on construction type equipment.

Parker, the Racor people, have service franchises. Try looking them up.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, yanmar