Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2022, 16:41   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Yanmar 3GM30F Gear Case cover removal

There is a problem with the injection pump on my 3GM30F. Either the rack is frozen or the linkage is frozen. I can't move the rack pin to align it with the slot as needed to remover the pump. The manual I'm using says to remove the pump before removing the case cover. Has anyone removed the case while the pump was still installed?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 17:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Yanmar 3GM30F Gear Case cover removal

I'm guessing here but maybe they say to remove injection pump before removing case as the plunger rollers get hung up on the cam lobes? I'd try spraying the fuel rack & linkages with penetrating oil to see if you can free it.
Hope you get a reply from someone who has done it & then you will know as its just my speculation.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 21:50   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Going from unreliable memory here.

The injector pump should lift up without removing any covers.
You must remove the gear case side cover (red arrow) when refitting to ensure the rack engages with the governor lever 2 slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 2.43.30 pm.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	256869  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 23:03   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Going from unreliable memory here.

The injector pump should lift up without removing any covers.
You must remove the gear case side cover (red arrow) when refitting to ensure the rack engages with the governor lever 2 slot.
Also my recollection from a similar deteriorated memory. Also vaguely recollect that there is a shim under the pump related to timing.
Old 30-04-2022, 00:12   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Also my recollection from a similar deteriorated memory. Also vaguely recollect that there is a shim under the pump related to timing.
Shim memory is correct
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 07:40   #6

Boat: 1969 Frers custom, 39.5ft Sloop

I was in your exact situation last July. The engine had sat for 11 years without anything done except to manually turn it every so often. While going through the engine to get it going again, I found the stop lever wouldn't operate, which led me to find the stuck fuel rack. The 3gm30 shuts off with the rack in full forward mode, and the diesel had turned to varnish in the meantime. No amount of penetrating oil appeared to help, and I disassembled the top of the fuel injection pump to no avail. The front of the rack locks the injector pump into the case cover.

Long story short, the only way to remove the pump was to unbolt the gear cover, which proved a lot easier than I thought it would be. It did require a gear puller for the belt pulley and removal of most of the front of the engine, but was not difficult. I used the same gear puller I have for my propeller. The engine rebuild manual available online in PDF form is super helpful!

What Compass790 said is also correct - the cam lobes will normally want to catch on the plunger roller, but having the injector pump loose will prevent it from catching as you pull the case cover off. Wotname is also right that there are shims under the pump that MUST go back the same way. Mine were fairly glued to the crank cover with grime.

Once removed, I could disassemble the pump from below and free up the rack. The fuel injector pump is a precision and complicated piece, so take care with disassembly - let a professional clean and put it back together if you're not 100% confident.

Reassembly was reverse order, but with new gaskets, torquing everything to spec - and the inspection cover needs to be off in order to line up the injector rack with the governor fork.

I have photos of the crank removal here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXm5aPL4W_/

And a few of the injector pump rebuild here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRkKHMrLsNU/

I hope this helps! FWIW, the engine started up and ran beautifully shortly after finishing the work.
-Eric
SVQuestOfPaget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, gear, removal, yanmar