Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 19:55   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Which Engine?

My 48ī ketch (displaces 40,000 pounds and has a 37ī7" waterline) has a Volvo MD40A with over 8,000 hours on it. Itīs never been overhauled and I donīt believe the head has ever been removed. Itīs time to replace it. Since my wife and I do a fair amount of blue water cruising (we just got back from four months cruising the west coast of Mexico), we need something that is both rugged and economical. Iīve been looking at the Volvo D3-110 but itīs only rated for less than 300 hours of use per year. Plus, Iīm not crazy about the idea of belt-driven camshafts. On top of that, itīs not available until the early fall of this year.

So, readers of this forum, what do I install? An obvious answer is the Yanmar 4JH with 110 horsepower but Iīve never been a big fan of Yanmars. Thereīs the Perkins M92 but thatīs a questionable company, having first been sold to Caterpillar and then they sold it off. John Deere makes their 80-horsepower, 4-cylinder engine but itīs very tall and wide (plus, with the transmission, weighs over 1,000 pounds). Ideally, Iīd like an engine in the 85 to 110 horsepower range that has an excellent network of dealers; is bullet-proof in itīs reliability and can fit into a relatively small space.

If this were your boat and you were going to sail beyond the horizon, what engine would you put in it? Why?
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:15   #2

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
The yanmar would be my choice. Its reliable, its a universal, well built engine. You will have less fuel use, less vibration, less noise with the yanmar I would guess. Most do.
The John Deere lugger is a excellent engine as well but as you point out, heavy.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:35   #3

You've got to like the Yanmar. The 4JH has lower top end RPM than the last generation and that engine has a lot of torque in the mid range RPM's. Nice engine. You obviously know how to take care of an engine - I would think it would give you a lot of hours.

Parts availability (and parts prices) are better than volvos. Service everywhere there's a sailboat. The only problem I have with them is that Yanmar doesn't like you to mount big alternators on them - although people do. Also make sure you prop it so you can reach full RPM. Yanmar has been known to refuse warranty coverage if over propped.

I'd also like the Perkins but you've got to worry a bit in this economy about smaller companies that have been bounced around.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:47   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The last Volvo I used was 25 years ago and I hated it. My current Yanmar 4LH-HTE is always there, starts when I point a finger to the key. I think Yanmar is the way to go.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 21:05   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If you don't like Yanmar, which I do, have you looked at Cummins? For your application, I would go with the Yanmar

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 21:46   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ah, a nice Nanni diesel then?

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 00:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
John Deere 4045D?

I put a John Deere 4045D into Boracay.
Some comments:-
1) It is heavy. I don't know if I'll ever get the bow down to it's LWL.
2) John Deere want a 4" exhaust so I put one in. I used a 2" for a while and the 4" did not make a big difference. Might ruin the engine in the long term. It's nice to have done the 4".
3) The 80 hp is 24/7 continuous.
4) The front engine mounts are OK but the rear mounts went on to the ZF63 gearbox and were a bit of a pain.
5) It looks like a good engine for a big cruising yacht. I measured carefully and used templates and all sorts of other things to check if it would fit. It did need to be partly disassembled to get it into the boat, otherwise OK.
6) Fuel consumption looks very good (4-6 l/hr @ 6-7kts?).
7) I still have only 85 hours on the engine. I don't know how it'll work out long term.
8) Support before buying was excellent.
9) I don't think it would stretch an experienced diesel mechanic.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 01:20   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I have a little experience with Perkins and Yanmar having just been through a big boat search. My observations: Yanmar quieter and smoother, higher revving. Perkins noisier and cruder, slower turning. Perkins is heavy-duty, rated for light commercial and fishing use, besides yachts.

The Perkins are very heavy, nearly twice as heavy as a comparable Yanmar -- about 1000 pounds for the 82 horse model with transmission -- which may be a disadvantage for some boats. That engine displaces almost 4,000cc, compared to 2,000cc for the current 99 hp Yanmar, so you see the difference in approach -- the Yanmar is turbocharged, 4 valves per cylinder, high tech -- the Perkins is a real old fashioned tractor engine.

Mechanics told me -- Perkins is more robust, longer-lasting, and less sensitive to abuse than Yanmar; parts are cheap and plentiful. Yanmar is more efficient.

Take your pick. I like the smoothness of the Yanmar, and turbocharging is great for efficiency plus really cuts down on the noise (the turbo absorbs a lot of exhaust impulse sound). On the other hand, simplicity and ruggedness are possibly the supreme virtues for machinery your life may depend on far from civilization.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 03:18   #9

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
I went from a Westerbeke,Perkins, to a Beta marine,Kubota. droped several hundres pounds and decreased fuel consumption by 50% Parts are readily available and reasonable.
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 14:56   #10

Russian MULETOV Diesel Engine For You

Dearest Comrade, I commend you to MULETOV farm tractor engine, strong like ox. Do you know Mr. NH Schneider it responsible for victory at Stalingrad 1945 tank engine indestructible? This is true, verified! I can supply you MULETOV engine all new. Will fit nice in boat please consider!
SV SolMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 19:57   #11

Just curious, why don't you like Yanmar engines?
pdm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 20:57   #12

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm26 View Post
Just curious, why don't you like Yanmar engines?
I too am curious? Many of the engines mentioned were originally designed for land use the Yanmar's are specificly designed for marine use. Diesel's recently have seen radical improvements in design so why anyone would consider boat anchor technology beats me and with the price of fuel going upwards economy seems like an important factor. YANMAR or YANMAR
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 05:16   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV SolMate View Post
Dearest Comrade, I commend you to MULETOV farm tractor engine, strong like ox. Do you know Mr. NH Schneider it responsible for victory at Stalingrad 1945 tank engine indestructible? This is true, verified! I can supply you MULETOV engine all new. Will fit nice in boat please consider!

LOL! I'll give you a bottle of vodka and a pair of Levis for it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 05:24   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
My 48ī ketch (displaces 40,000 pounds and has a 37ī7" waterline) has a Volvo MD40A with over 8,000 hours on it. Itīs never been overhauled and I donīt believe the head has ever been removed. Itīs time to replace it.
Just curious as to why you would replace it and not overhaul it.

I like the Yanmars for the reasons stated by others.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 05:30   #15

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
This question is liken to why do you drive a Ford Over a Chavrolet.A matter of Preferance. I have a 25 year old Kubota tractor that if the battery is up It Cranks. If it has fuel it runs.This is normal for all diesl engines so why did I choose Beta over yanmar? after going to the -----boat show and talking to Both reps I felt Beta was the best bang for the buck.If you haven't talked to a Beta rep I would suggest you do so before comitting to any engine call Stanley at 252 249 2473and don't be afaraid to ask questioms.You will get straight honest answers.Then make up your own mind.
I like FORDS
Roscoe
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine