Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2005, 11:02   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
FWIW
I stop by the local pharmacy and ask for "Anhydrous Lanolin" a 3 lb tub of it cost me $12 USD ... or I could buy about 3 oz of "Lanacote" for the same amount .... same stuff.
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 16:40   #17

I you could go over board on the spares, I think you first need to consider the area you will be sailing,and abilty to get replacment parts also carry tools and meterals for repais to hoses ect. having a good basic knowage on repairs and manuals, Not being a blue water sailor is it that bad to lose your engine, I made it back to the slip more tahn once without a engine. Hope this is not a stupid question.
Old 29-07-2005, 20:13   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Nope, not a bad thing to lose the engine as such. Where the issues come in, is for those visiting some out of the way, 3rd world countries and then have the engine die. You can have great difficulty in obtaining expertise, the correct part and the cost can be an issue. Even ordering from your home country, can take an eternity to get the part to where yoiu are, and then, you have to be absoutly sure you ordered the correct part, or something different turns up and you go through the entire process again. Hmmm, now where have I read issues like that just recently
So it is being a little self sufficient that the answer lies. Of course, you do have to draw a line somewhere, or you may as well just tow behind you a compleate nother boat. Just what IS carried is up to the individual and his/her expertise in repairing possible problems from No.8 fencing wire and Bailing Twine As we kiwi's like to say. Actually our saying is more acurately, "If No.8 can't fix it mate, nothing can" Plus room. Depending on boat size, storage space is alway's an issue, and you have to draw a line as to spares somewhere. And remember, it isn't JUST the engine spares you need to worry about.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 21:44   #19

Wheels

I hope that your not saying that Queensland is a backwards 3rd world country

Paul
boredinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 21:57   #20

What Wheels knows but is not saying because he do not want to drift the thread (as he normally dose) Is that the use of the motor as a means of propulsion is only part of the issue. In a small boat there are limited option for electrical generation (ie space for solar cell) and out there are limited resources and facilities. It is therefore possible that one is indirectly dependant on the motor for communication (including weather) navigation (OK there are manual systems) and water, The loss of a number of these items would be hard to work around and the space/weight of spares is probable less than alternative systems of power, water and refrigeration generation.

Paul

boredinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 01:40   #21

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Wyre

They use 9 guage up here in the Great White North.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:46   #22
Kai Nui

My Rule of thumb is simple. With the exception of specific maintenance items (i.e. belts and filter) all spares must fit 2 or more applications, such as spare hose, assorted hoses as opposed to fitted or hard tubing. A wire clamp tool and a roll of stainless wire as opposed to hose clamps. A small electric fuel pump (automotive $12 type) for feed pump, transfer pump, emergency jerry can fuel source, quick fuel system bleed after sucking air. Splash Zone, JB Weld.
Spare injectors, fuel pumps etc would be great, but these items fail so rarely, that the spares usually do not survive long enough to make use of. Use the space for tools to make raw materials work and you will be far more prepared.