Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2023, 08:32   #31

Boat: Condor 37
Re: volvo penta vs yanmar

Having lived with a Volvo MD17 with sail drive for 25 years I can find no fault. Spares were readily available and comparable to Yanmar for the very few instances I needed parts. When it came time to repower it was a no brainer Volvo all the way. New engine is actually a made in Japan Perkins. Personally I would a void a turbo for a boat, never runs hard enough nor long enough.
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 08:44   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
My first boat (ca. 1975) had an older Volvo. I found a mechanic who specialized in only-Volvo. He did all my work until 1999 when I started looking for a new boat. When I asked how about motors, he told me "Avoid Volvo motors."
Funny, but very meaningful.
I agree.
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 08:55   #33

Boat: AMEL Sharki 41'

I have worked on both Yanmars and Volvos in this horsepower range. The older Volvos are somewhat easier to work on as there is easier access to the water pump">raw water pump and other accessories. The oil filter is on the bottom of the engine for some reason and a pain to deal with. There are two possible oil filters which are very similar but not identical so one has to be very carful when ordering a replacement. However the turbo is the more common and expensive part to often need service on a sailboat. When you run a turbo engine at low RPM's when motorsailing it tends to carbon up and finally stop. Volvo does not allow their turbos to be rebuilt even though they are made by a well known turbo manufacturer and almost identical to others on the market. They will not even allow a Volvo dealer to rebuild them even for a minor problem such as a frozen dump gate. They have to be replaced. All the parts are expensive. We had a Volvo TMD freeze up from water getting into a cylinder. The Volvo dealer told me not to rebuild it and not to replace it with a Volvo! If both boats are in similar condition and both engines are in good condition I would be inclined to go with the Yanmar.

The newer common rail Volvos are a nightmare to work on (for the few things you can actually do without Volvo factory software on a computer by a authorized dealer) and are to be avoided. Nothing can be repaired, everything must be replaced.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 09:33   #34

Boat: Dehler, Cruising 41 - BEBECA
Send a message via Skype™ to deltasig

I would concentrate more on the boat; it's a sailboat after all! A lighter engine that would move the boat at almost hull speed and still have some reserve is a better choice.
BTW, Yanmar has been delivering reliable boat engines when Volvo was still trying to find the difference between tractors/trucks and boats : 😁
I own and run a Yanmar turbo for the last 25 years (doing maintenance service myself after taking course at West Marine) and the only two things I had to use tech was change transmission cones (usd 200) and sand blasting/clean turbo and exhaust elbow/mixer (250)!
deltasig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 09:43   #35
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincatinca View Post
I am looking at two identical 50 ft centre cockpit yachts, circa 2000/2001, one with a Volvo Penta TAMD31 130hp 4 cyl diesel , and the other with a 79hp 4 cyl Yanmar turbo diesel. The power difference is considerable, but each will probably give a maximum speed of around 8 knots. Would welcome comments of the difference, as well as upkeep and reliability of these two power trains.
The disparity between the two boats (51 HP) in engine size would bring questions into my mind and I would research others to see what the normal/average HP rating was. Having an engine that is too big is as bad as having one that is too small albeit perhaps in different areas. Since you don't give the boat make and model it is difficult to comment on.
Old 14-08-2023, 09:45   #36

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have had both kinds of motors and both are good solid marine engines if you take care of them. However, parts for the Volvo were hard to find and esp. outside of the USA. In the islands I could get Yanmar parts easily. Friends with Volvo motors had to get parts sent in from Europe or the USA
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 11:07   #37

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
No personal experience in ownership, but helping others, I would veer away from the Volvo. But if all things were equal between the two, the extra power may be a deciding factor depending on your expected use.

I have a 50 foot, 36000 lbs, typical 90s production boat hull form with an 80hp perkins, non turbo. I think the boat would be much better with a 100 hp. In flat seas it's more than fine, and I burn on average 1.2 gph. But in a 30+ knot headwind, or in rough seas, it could use a bit more power. Granted the motor is 30 years old and has 2500 hours, some of those ponies may have escaped the corral. It could use more power to get up and over the waves, or punch through them. I've had a few waves that almost complete stopped forward travel. I'm not talking about big waves, maybe steep 6 to 10 footers getting out of an inlet. It would also be nice to have more power with following seas. It's completely adequate, and never left me worried, but having a bit more oomph at times would be great.
Based on this I would go with the Yanmar and would manage with the correctly sized power plant rather than something with near 40% more power. I am thinking. Choosing a sail boat based on engine choice is a strange decision- are there no other basis or differences?

Either way both are quality manufacturers.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 11:43   #38

In my opinion, Volvo Penta is very difficult to deal with. Expensive and difficult to get spares, and if electronic, proprietary software for diagnostics. Yanmar is better, but I would prefer Cummins.
Slacktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 12:02   #39

Boat: XYacht Xp 44 43.6'

I have had both. A Volvo 40 hp in my J/Boat about 9 years. I think it had about 2000 hours when I sold that one. We had a difficult time with the electronic controllers dying out. Always carried 2 spares on a longer voyage. Mechanically it was pretty solid. Replaced the heat exchanger twice.

Currently have a Yanmar 57 hp with about 1200 hours. Nothing to report so far. It has been bulletproof.

But... when I ask the techs who have done some maintenance and every sail guy who has done any work on the boat they all hate Volvo's. Still not sure why, they really don't have a good answer when I ask for specific information.

I would say that finding Yanmar parts has been easier.
Day Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 12:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Dreams View Post
We had a difficult time with the electronic controllers dying out. Always carried 2 spares on a longer voyage.
Very interesting Day Dreams. I have heard this before. With those controllers being about US$500 each, that is a fairly generous stock of parts.
Mr. Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 12:15   #41

Boat: Lagoon 420

I have a 35ft boat with an old 1999 Volvo MD2030-C BT and that engine has been professionally maintained all its life and it is superb. I have been told it can has no limitationI currently have a boat with Yanmar RCD3JH5E engines. My 2 previous boats I re-powered with Beta Marine Engines (15hp and a 25hp) Beta Marines I love for their simplicity/ease of self maintenance and very low cost of parts and could run on max revs all day if needed and I needed that a couple of times caught out in a storm. I have read on my Yanmar engine operators manual that the engine can only be used on max revs for a maximum of 20 mins ... otherwise it will overheat?!. Been told that by Marine Diesel Engineers too. Why can't they (Yanmar's) be used for a long period on max revs - is it just Yanmars that have this issue???Puzzled, Mike.
MorwrMeic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 12:16   #42

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

I reckon that 79 HP is plenty power
The key issue is probably the prop.
MANY, if not most, sailboats have inappropriate props pitch settings

If the pitch is on the high side, speed in calm would be good, but head seas a killer
If pitch is low, pushing into head seas will work well, and dockside manoeuvres better.

If the boat runs easily to max engine devs, the pitch is correct or low
If it won’t reach max it is high
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 12:20   #43

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorwrMeic View Post
I have a 35ft boat with an old 1999 Volvo MD2030-C BT and that engine has been professionally maintained all its life and it is superb. I have been told it can has no limitationI currently have a boat with Yanmar RCD3JH5E engines. My 2 previous boats I re-powered with Beta Marine Engines (15hp and a 25hp) Beta Marines I love for their simplicity/ease of self maintenance and very low cost of parts and could run on max revs all day if needed and I needed that a couple of times caught out in a storm. I have read on my Yanmar engine operators manual that the engine can only be used on max revs for a maximum of 20 mins ... otherwise it will overheat?!. Been told that by Marine Diesel Engineers too. Why can't they (Yanmar's) be used for a long period on max revs - is it just Yanmars that have this issue???Puzzled, Mike.
Many engines aren't rated to produce their maximum output continuously. Max continuous output is typically lower (by how much varies between engines). Running it flat out for a long period won't necessarily cause it to overheat or anything immediate, but the higher exhaust temps, etc. may lead to some parts wearing faster and the engine having a significantly shorter than expected lifespan.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 14:12   #44

Boat: Hooper (Farr) 38

I have a Volvo penta md 20/40 b that needed a lot of love as it had been neglected by the previous owner. It’s running well. My Volvo is actually a Perkins (stamped on it). The Yanmar is (most likely) a Toyota Landcruiser diesel. Toyota make great engines. Perkins run for ever. What i’l look for is which engine has been properly serviced? And what is the access like? My starter motor is almost inaccessible. The timing cover won’t come off. The exhaust elbow was shot as was the transmission oil water based cooler. The water pump was also just replaced and oil leaks fixed. It has cost $ thousands to fix, but now purrs along beautifully. So go for the better maintained one (and smaller if access is an issue). Turbo’s can be tricky I’ve heard.
gordonhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 14:34   #45

Boat: GibSea 472

I had only Volvo Penta on my different boats engines. Tne present one is MD50 50 hp that run perfectly.
But...Volvo Parts are so expensive that it look like highway robery. My luck is that I discovered that present engine is in fact a Perkins camouflaged into a Volvo. What a difference in parts price...
Beside that my engine is perfect and very, very reliable.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo, yanmar