Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2022, 18:46   #1

Volvo Penta MD6B replacement with Volvo Penta 2003

Hi,
The old Volvo Penta MD6B finally died.
I am looking at replacing it with a new engine with a bit more power such as the Volvo Penta 2003.
Does anybody know if those engines can be swapped? Would the mounting blocks match? What about the shaft connection? Are the transmissions connections coming out at the same angles (do not want to have to work the engine bed).
Any information is welcome.
Thanks,
Fred
Fcousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 19:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Volvo Penta MD6B replacement with Volvo Penta 2003

I have looked at the MD7A replacement which is pretty close to the MD6 IIRC. I was looking at Beta or Nanni, not the Newer Volvo.

Basically NO. Mounts are different, Don’t know about shaft height. Left turning prop vs right means new prop. Water in and exhaust out are on opposite sides. Yuck.

Just yesterday I saw a MD7A on ebay for $3,500 advertised as in good running condition. That would make the reinstall much easier.

Here are a couple. No connection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18449524048...oAAOSwFYZb5Md4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26550457022...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 05:40   #3

Thank you so much for the valuable information.
The MD7A definitely looks extremely similar to the MD6A.
I think that the second engine might be the best option as it is advertised as complete and running. The first one requires some fixes and "professional assembly".
Again, thanks a lot,
Fred
Old 19-01-2022, 06:42   #4

Boat: None

The standard mounts for an MD6A (10hp@2400) are 14.2" wide. The standard mounts of the 2003 (28hp@3200) are 16.14" wide.

So your off base in that dimension. And nearly tripling your HP. ??? Offset difference will require that you raise the engine beds. Probably about 2". You will need a new propeller and possibly a new shaft as well.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 06:49   #5

Thank you... that is what was said.
I am definitely steering away from the Volvo Penta 2003 and will be going the route of MD7A which seems to be an exact match.
Would you agree?
Old 19-01-2022, 07:28   #6

All,

Other question:
I am going to contact my marina to see if they can swap the engines. If not, has anyone ever used the boom as a mean to lift and drop the engine out and in the engine compartment?
Any other recommendations/ideas?
Thanks,
Fred
Old 19-01-2022, 08:27   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcousin View Post
Hi,
The old Volvo Penta MD6B finally died.
I am looking at replacing it with a new engine with a bit more power such as the Volvo Penta 2003.
Does anybody know if those engines can be swapped? Would the mounting blocks match? What about the shaft connection? Are the transmissions connections coming out at the same angles (do not want to have to work the engine bed).
Any information is welcome.
Thanks,
Fred

In my opinion the Volvo 2003 is the biggest piece of junk they ever made. I had one for 4 years until I finally sold that boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 08:55   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I did exactly that...replaced a Volvo MD7B with a Volvo 2003 engine.
The
MD7B engine...if my memory serves me correctly has a a 7 degree downward sloping transmission....other than that it is the same as the MD7A.

The 2003B model also has the 7 degree downward sloping transmission.....which is why I chose it.

No, the engine mounts are different.

What I did was make a wood mock up of the 2003 engine, so I could be sure the new engine mounts would line up correctly with the existing shaft.

You will also have to switch out the props.

Like other's here, I have developed a strong love/hate relationship with these engines.

Yes, I made some wood runners ( an extension of the engine mounts) so I could slide the engine out of the engine compartment to the companionway, then strapped a 4x4 post to the boom, and lifted the engine out with a block and tackle. Once in the cockpit, I re-positioned the engine to the end of the boom and swung it out to the dock. New engine went in the same way.

I don't think either engine is made today....I know the MD7B certainly isn't. Mine was raw water cooled. It was a pain in the arse. The 2003 has a heat exchanger.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 11:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcousin View Post
All,

Other question:
I am going to contact my marina to see if they can swap the engines. If not, has anyone ever used the boom as a mean to lift and drop the engine out and in the engine compartment?
Any other recommendations/ideas?
Thanks,
Fred
Fred,

I had an issue with the engine mount rails. Nothing to do with the engine except they held it in place.

I was on the hard, so the yard came over with a mobil crane and picked it out. Went back in the same way.

Then, I had lost the reference measurement for the mount height. I needed to out in some shims. I put a piece of 4x4 a ross the companionway and picked her up a few inches and inserted the shims. Then let her back down.

I have/had a spare engine in my basement. But we recently sold the house so the engine had to come out. I used a Harbor Freight 1 ton mobile crane, some ingenuity and lots of cussing. Stuck it in a U Haul trailer and transferred it to our storage trailer where it now sits.

This “spare” will he rebuilt if the time ever comes to replace the engine in my small boat.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, penta, volvo