Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2010, 20:45   #1

Volvo Penta Exhaust Manifold Question

i've got a volvo penta md17c. the manual says (in boldface text) to make sure the exhaust manifold gaskets are put in the right way. unfortunately, it doesn't TELL you which is the right way.

can anybody tell me which way they go???
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 21:45   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmag View Post
i've got a volvo penta md17c. the manual says (in boldface text) to make sure the exhaust manifold gaskets are put in the right way. unfortunately, it doesn't TELL you which is the right way.

can anybody tell me which way they go???
What is the word for word exact text?

If you still have the old gasket - check the outline of
a) the manifold where it compressed the gasket, and
b) the block where it compressed the gasket.
There should be small clear boundaries around the compressed areas - these should give you an indication of which way the new gasket should be fitted.
Another clue is that the heat resistant material in the gasket should be on the manifold side - not the block.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 06:22   #3

laidback-
thanks for that feedback. i'm gonna try to install new gaskets this week-end and see how it turns out. can't be any worse, right?
-del
Old 21-11-2010, 15:14   #4

ok, so i took the manifold off and the aft cylinder (#3) had some water in the exhaust port. looks like the gasket was, indeed, leaking. there was water pooled up on top of the closed exhaust valve. so, i replaced all of the gaskets......we'll see if that takes care of it.
Old 21-11-2010, 18:07   #5

Quote:
ok, so i took the manifold off and the aft cylinder (#3) had some water in the exhaust port. looks like the gasket was, indeed, leaking. there was water pooled up on top of the closed exhaust valve. so, i replaced all of the gaskets......we'll see if that takes care of it.
Where did THAT water come from? Could understand that, if the Head gasket was defective allowing water from the blocks water galleries to cross over - but difficult to visualize water in a single exhaust port. See page 15 of the workshop manual :-
"28. Clean all parts. Pay particular attention to coolant
passages. In case of doubt, check for leakage
by pressure testing. Water pressure 0.3
MPa (3 kg/cm2 = 43 p.s.i.)"
Water in certain circumstances can syphon back from the water lock/lift.
Old 21-11-2010, 19:00   #6

In the manual on the 2nd last page there is a schematic of the cooling system for the 17C.
I have arrowed the galleries that carry cooling water to the block and head. If the head gasket blows then water may end up in places it shouldn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo MD 17C cooling Page 45.jpg
Views:	2358
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	21375  
Old 21-11-2010, 19:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Where did THAT water come from? Could understand that, if the Head gasket was defective allowing water from the blocks water galleries to cross over - but difficult to visualize water in a single exhaust port. See page 15 of the workshop manual :-
"28. Clean all parts. Pay particular attention to coolant
passages. In case of doubt, check for leakage
by pressure testing. Water pressure 0.3
MPa (3 kg/cm2 = 43 p.s.i.)"
Water in certain circumstances can syphon back from the water lock/lift.
well, it's possible that it's a head gasket. there also looks to be a cooling water passage right next to the exhaust port. i figured that's where the water came from but how it mixes with the oil, i don't know. i think the pressure testing of the water is a bit beyond me but i took them into a shop where they did a vacuum test on the valves and he said everything was fantastic.
i'm a little concerned because the #3 barrel/liner lifted off the block when i turned the engine over by hand when i had the heads off. maybe i damaged one of the seals for the pushrod or oil pipe channels where the block and cylinder meet?
Old 21-11-2010, 19:55   #8

it's possible we are using different words to describe the same thing. in the drawing, the arrow on the left marks exactly the place i think the water passed the gasket that lives between the exhaust manifold and the head. there is only about 1/4 of gasket between that water galley and the exhaust port and the one i just replaced looked pretty iffy. once i get the foamy oil replaced, i'm gonna try to turn it over by hand before i start it. i REALLY don't want to hear that expensive "CLUNK" again!
Old 21-11-2010, 20:10   #9

Quote:
well, it's possible that it's a head gasket. there also looks to be a cooling water passage right next to the exhaust port. i figured that's where the water came from but how it mixes with the oil, i don't know.
Well, If a head gasket has blown - allowing water from a cooling gallery to be sucked into the cylinder on the suction stroke - then when the piston moves up in the compression stroke, there are a few unwelcome results that may occur:-
1) The worst, (water not being compressible - in liquid form) the piston's connecting rod and/or piston may be irreparably damaged.
2) The next worst, (water is vaporized and is compressed) this vapor mixes with the diesel vapor (produced by the fuel injector) However, the continuous introduction of water may consequently damage the injector's nozzle, resulting in failure to ignite the diesel vaporized spray.
3) The next, water on the compression stroke is forced Down past the piston's compression ring/s into the lubricating oil - resulting in corrosion of bearings, crankshaft, cylinder liners, rings, valves, valve seats and guides etc...
Old 21-11-2010, 20:25   #10

Quote:
it's possible we are using different words to describe the same thing. in the drawing, the arrow on the left marks exactly the place i think the water passed the gasket that lives between the exhaust manifold and the head. there is only about 1/4 of gasket between that water galley and the exhaust port and the one i just replaced looked pretty iffy. once i get the foamy oil replaced, i'm gonna try to turn it over by hand before i start it. i REALLY don't want to hear that expensive "CLUNK" again!
Delmag,
What is not clear in the description of the problem,
Is that the water galleries are to be found in the engine block and the cylinder head Not in the Exhaust manifold - The arrows in the schematic show the path of coolant liquid in the block and head Not exhaust manifold.
What can conceded is that this so called workshop manual from Volvo can only be described as superficial.
Old 27-11-2010, 15:25   #11

laidback-
i'm pretty sure that the cooling water DOES circulate through the exhaust manifold. the passages in the heads connect directly to passages in the manifold and the bottom of the manifold has both, a connection to the cooling water circuit and a drain.
in any case, i FINALLY got the mayonaise-like substance that used to be oil out of the engine and replaced with oil. so far so good. after and hour, the oil still looks like oil with a little mayonaise mixed in. gonna run it again and change the oil and see what happens. thanks for all the help. wish me luck!
Old 27-11-2010, 16:40   #12

DelMag,
"the oil still looks like oil with a little mayonnaise mixed in. gonna run it again and change the oil and see what happens. thanks for all the help. wish me luck! "
Unquote.
-------------
What is necessary is to flush the old "oil" out of the engine completely with flushing oil - before adding new lubricating oil. What you describe as 'little mayonnaise' is most likely water contaminated oil, which has the potential to damage your engine.

It is still important to establish how water got into the oil and other places that are off limits.
Old 27-11-2010, 18:43   #13

yes, the mayonaise IS the water contaminated oil. it took DAYS to get it out of the engine. i am now at the flushing stage. i put the new oil in and ran the engine to heat it up and mix it with any residual mayo, and now i'm pumping it out and changing the filter. may have to cycle it again to get happy oil but it looks like the new gaskets stopped the water leaking.

Tags
exhaust, penta, volvo