Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 09:22   #1

Universal Diesels....general thoughts

What is the background / thoughts on Universal diesel engines....
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 09:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Universal Diesels....general thoughts

My personal boat is a Tartan 33 with her original universal 5424. IMHO as long as you take care of a good diesel they are fairly bulletproof. My 5424 is a “marinized” Kubota. Aside from the water pump">raw water pump, and gold paint- still not sure what was changed.

But as with any older boat- you buy not only the boat- but the use/abuse and repairs of all prior owners. So if the oil was not changed on schedule, or she was run hot (not maintained heat exchanger)- the engine may not hold up.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 09:55   #3

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I understand that Westerbeke now owns Universal. The engines are built on a Kubota block. A tractor store can supply some of the parts, at "tractor" prices. I have the list of Universal Engines, with cross-reference to corresponding tractor models.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 12:08   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

As stated a Universal is a marinized Kubota. When I bought my boat in late 2006 the diesel was seized (PO passed away two years before and the widow didn’t have it winterized). I didn’t want to get into the rebuilding a dubious diesel business so I replaced it with a Universal M25-XPB. Great engine. Eleven years with nothing other than routine maintenance after 864 hours.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel